First Kill - Hog

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Made my first kill with my new Optima V2. Have shot it several sessions and really have been enjoying muzzleloading.

Took a 180 lb hog using 2 White Hot pellets and Hornady Bore Driver FTX bullet.

Shot was taken about 85 yards broadside. Decided to lung her and see what kinda damage the bullet would do. She ran off into the thick youpon. Blood trail from POI to where she was recovered, about 40 yards.

Damage was substantial. Bullet entered behind shoulder and hit lung and heart after breaking two ribs.

Pictures can be viewed in Product/Services Review: Hornady Bore Driver FTX 290gr.

Just to be clear, I’m not pushing one product over another. I bought a 50 cal and want to shoot a 50 cal bullet, not pistol bullet. I have been using Hornady products for a long time reloading and trust them. Thus, I wanted to try these. I am currently using pellets. I am not interested in trying BH209 at this time. I am learning as I go and you guys have helped me an awful lot, more than you realize. I appreciate that.

"Just to be clear, I’m not pushing one product over another..."
No need to apologize. I'm here partly to learn about different products, and learn how they performed for other people. I didn't know about the Bore Driver FTX. Looks like a Power Belt design copy, which has a dubious reputation among many on this forum. (Although I have used them with some success, see avatar.) Hopefully, Hornady has cracked the code and done a better job with the concept. They sure worked fine for you. And, hopefully, they will make an all lead version, so I can try them out in Idaho. I sure do trust Hornady for centerfire.
What kind of accuracy do you get with them?

Back in the day, we raised hogs on our farm. My job was feeding them, we had the hog shed where the sows were kept. It seems like there were always piglets, in various age groups.

"Just to be clear, I’m not pushing one product over another..."
No need to apologize. I'm here partly to learn about different products, and learn how they performed for other people. I didn't know about the Bore Driver FTX. Looks like a Power Belt design copy, which has a dubious reputation among many on this forum. (Although I have used them with some success, see avatar.) Hopefully, Hornady has cracked the code and done a better job with the concept. They sure worked fine for you. And, hopefully, they will make an all lead version, so I can try them out in Idaho. I sure do trust Hornady for centerfire.
What kind of accuracy do you get with them?
About 1 1/2” @ 100 ; approx. 1” @ 50

Dont fix what works for you ?? I will bet $100 he will try something else an keep trying something else till he finds something that doesn't work. Done it a hundred times. The old saying goes " if it ain't broke, modify it till it is.
no plans

Back