First ML - need advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettk

Reaction score
The only hunt I drew this year is muzzleloader antelope, now it’s time to buy my first muzzleloader and I need some advice.

I’ve been looking all day and it seems most are sold out, I really wanted a knight disc extreme but I don’t want to wait 10-12 weeks for it to ship.

I also wanted a CVA accura v2 LR but I can’t find any in stock, so it looks like I’m going to “settle” with the Optima V2 LR. Is this a good choice for a shot between 100-300 yards? Any other options are greatly appreciated.

I bought a cva optima v2 this winter, on backorder from muzzle-loaders.com. I had the gun in less than 4 weeks Even though it was on back order. Call them if you want an estimated wait time.

I also wanted a CVA accura v2 LR but I can’t find any in stock, so it looks like I’m going to “settle” with the Optima V2 LR. Is this a good choice for a shot between 100-300 yards? Any other options are greatly appreciated.

That Optima will fit right into your needs. Don't short yourself on glass though. Powders are up to you as far as what to shoot. I use BH209 in my Accura and Optima but the T7 granular will do just fine if you have problems locating the 209.

I ordered a new ML last year, was meant to be here in Feb, then March, then April, now it's possibly May. 12 weeks aint so bad.

I was actually able to purchase a CVA Accura PR from the CVA website. I just have a couple questions.

I just need to swap out the BP to be able to use BH209 correct?

What does “ISM” stand for? I see it on a lot of CVAs muzzleloader description.

Correct on the plug. No idea what ism relates to.

I’m going to “settle” with the Optima V2 LR. Is this a good choice for a shot between 100-300 yards? Any other options are greatly appreciated.

Not really for 1 main reason. Its a 50cal only and past about 200yards any sabot load you can shoot will be losing energy fast. One of their 45cals would be a better option with sabots or sabotless. A 40cal 250gr bullet in a sabot is almost certainly going to shoot flatter and retain more energy than just about anything you can shoot in a CVA 50cal aside from a Paramount Pro.

Back