First Muzzle Loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarwinsFlinch

Reaction score
Good morning - I have been hunting for 45 years or so and I am (finally) interested in getting out for whitetail during muzzle loader. I recently bought all pictured for $225. The gun is a NEF Huntsman. The barrel looked clean and shiny before purchase; I am getting a little dirt/rust while cleaning it. Used Winchester cleaner, let it sit for half an hour then ran a few patches through and and oiled the barrel and moving parts.

Did I make an okay deal, and how should I follow up with barrel? What other advice? Thanks in advance!

muzzleloader.jpeg

Did your patches come out clean before you oiled it up? I don't know what the muzzleloader is worth because I've never seen one. Seems like a decent deal if you got everything pictured.

For $225, that's a pretty complete assembly to get you in the woods. If I were to suggest anything it would be to round up some T7 ffg granular and dump the pellets and pyrodex. I would have suggested BH209 powder but it's nonexistent in many places for priced like gold where it is available. Nice find there. Enjoy!

The gun alone will sell for a lot more than you paid look on gun broker and see what they sell for

@jd24.5.48
Patches were not perfect after 11 patches. I oiled to stop more corrosion. Wrong move, I guess? 🙂
No it's not a wrong move I was just wondering if you got the bore clean. You'll probably have to find some kind of polish to run down the bore to get it cleaned up. Good luck and welcome to the muzzleloading club!

You have a H&R huntsman a good shooter for round balls ,it has a one and fifty six twist you got a great deal , I have a 45 cal. huntsman have had it for about 3 years and have won muzzleloader shoots with it.

The 50 caliber guns are fast twist made for sabots and conicals the older 45 and 58s were the slow twist for round balls The newer 50s 1-28 twist

Because there are better choices to make. Granular powder offers a whole world of adjustability in working up loads. And T7 is worlds ahead of Pyrodex in any form.

Back