First post. First muzzleloader. First muzzleloader kill.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family has some property that they let me shoot at. I also go to a lot of nrl22 and prs matches.
Nice!! Only open ranges past 150 yards that I know of is Fouled Bore Precision Range in Ninnekah, Ok.(1000 yds I think) and Pushmataha WMA (200 yds) which I hunt alot. Thanks for replying. Again great 1st ML buck.

That's a nice buck. And a great hit. I guess I'd have to take something like that if it wandered to close too. Congrats!

So I recently moved back to Oklahoma, and decided I should take advantage of the muzzleloader season, and not just archery and rifle. I’ve been shooting long range with center fire rifles for a long time now, and used my knowledge gained there to help me with my very first muzzleloader. I wish I would have found this group earlier, but that’s hindsight. Anyway I ended up purchasing a CVA Acura LR-X. I topped it with a Burris RT15. I sourced some 285 gr elr powerbelts, 209 primers, and some blackhorn 209 powder. I played with loads, and landed on 77 gr weighed. According to my ballistic app, this load should retain enough energy to be lethal on deer out to 400 yards. So I practiced out to 400 yards. It proved to be somewhat accurate at 400 yards. Here’s a 5 shot group at 400. I found it’s a lot harder to be accurate with a muzzleloader, than a center fire rifle. So I passed on a couple of decent shooter bucks, hoping my target buck would come in. He never showed, but this guy decided to show up. One of my better deer ever taken. The shot was 200 yards on the dot, and put him down in 10 yards. Bullet entered perfectly behind the shoulder, and exited a little bit far back. But it destroyed both lungs, and did its job. Hunting with a muzzleloader is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I wish I would have picked this up years ago. I’m hooked now.View attachment 17034View attachment 17035View attachment 17036View attachment 17037View attachment 17038View attachment 17039View attachment 17040
How do you like the LR-X? That’s the in-line I’ve had my eye on. Hoping to find one used in a year or two when the newness has worn off (off the price too)

So I recently moved back to Oklahoma, and decided I should take advantage of the muzzleloader season, and not just archery and rifle. I’ve been shooting long range with center fire rifles for a long time now, and used my knowledge gained there to help me with my very first muzzleloader. I wish I would have found this group earlier, but that’s hindsight. Anyway I ended up purchasing a CVA Acura LR-X. I topped it with a Burris RT15. I sourced some 285 gr elr powerbelts, 209 primers, and some blackhorn 209 powder. I played with loads, and landed on 77 gr weighed. According to my ballistic app, this load should retain enough energy to be lethal on deer out to 400 yards. So I practiced out to 400 yards. It proved to be somewhat accurate at 400 yards. Here’s a 5 shot group at 400. I found it’s a lot harder to be accurate with a muzzleloader, than a center fire rifle. So I passed on a couple of decent shooter bucks, hoping my target buck would come in. He never showed, but this guy decided to show up. One of my better deer ever taken. The shot was 200 yards on the dot, and put him down in 10 yards. Bullet entered perfectly behind the shoulder, and exited a little bit far back. But it destroyed both lungs, and did its job. Hunting with a muzzleloader is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I wish I would have picked this up years ago. I’m hooked now.View attachment 17034View attachment 17035View attachment 17036View attachment 17037View attachment 17038View attachment 17039View attachment 17040
Welcome & congrats on your 1st deer with 1st ML & TY for a fantastic 1st post & pics.

Holy crap nice deer!

rob

Nice deer and group! New here and from Oklahoma also. I have the same rifle but have yet to shoot a group with it. No BH209 to be had locally yet. I have some 777 pellets and shot one ELR with some pyrodex. Any idea what your muzzle velocity is with BH209?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back