First pronghorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
I drew on a second chance draw for a ml pronghorn hunt, here in Idaho. First time I would ever get to hunt them, and in an area I had only driven through about 31 years ago. It felt like a grand adventure to the great unknown. I was a little concerned about my lack of experience with a tag that had been a long time coming, but it was also very exciting. Opening morning, I hunted where I'd seen some antelope the evening before, on the drive in. I saw several in twos, and threes, and a couple herds of 20-30 or more, but could not get into anywhere near my max ml range. The terrain was flat and the sagebrush was barely knee high. In the afternoon, I headed for some hills. I saw my buck and two does at about 450 yards, and this time I was able to back away and circle around to close the distance. I saw my buck again as I peeked through the brush at him, peeking back at me, at 147 yards. Still out of range, as I had no rest. I ducked low, crept forward and peeked up again, now at 110 yards, and they made me. The does were leaving, and the buck was starting to. Kneeling unsupported to reach over the brush, I judged the shot to look "good enough." BOOM! And they all took off. I very slowly reloaded, and went to follow up and look for blood, sure I'd missed, and chastising myself the whole way. Didn't find blood, but followed the way they went, and jumped him about 40 yards from where he'd been standing. A squeak on an antelope call stopped him for a 50 yard follow up shot that dropped him like flipping a light switch. Knight Bighorn, 420 grain .502 No Excuse, felt wad, 80 grains by volume of Pyrodex RS. He wasn't the biggest buck on the high desert, but I was so excited, like a kid again, getting my first deer. It dawned on me that I could have held out for a bigger one, but I don't care. Next time. But this one is at the taxidermist for a shoulder mount. Bonus; I was able to drive the truck to within 50yds to pick him up!20210925_pronghorn 1.jpg20210925_pronhorn hunt area 30A.jpg20210925_Sunset 30A.jpg

I drew on a second chance draw for a ml pronghorn hunt, here in Idaho. First time I would ever get to hunt them, and in an area I had only driven through about 31 years ago. It felt like a grand adventure to the great unknown. I was a little concerned about my lack of experience with a tag that had been a long time coming, but it was also very exciting. Opening morning, I hunted where I'd seen some antelope the evening before, on the drive in. I saw several in twos, and threes, and a couple herds of 20-30 or more, but could not get into anywhere near my max ml range. The terrain was flat and the sagebrush was barely knee high. In the afternoon, I headed for some hills. I saw my buck and two does at about 450 yards, and this time I was able to back away and circle around to close the distance. I saw my buck again as I peeked through the brush at him, peeking back at me, at 147 yards. Still out of range, as I had no rest. I ducked low, crept forward and peeked up again, now at 110 yards, and they made me. The does were leaving, and the buck was starting to. Kneeling unsupported to reach over the brush, I judged the shot to look "good enough." BOOM! And they all took off. I very slowly reloaded, and went to follow up and look for blood, sure I'd missed, and chastising myself the whole way. Didn't find blood, but followed the way they went, and jumped him about 40 yards from where he'd been standing. A squeak on an antelope call stopped him for a 50 yard follow up shot that dropped him like flipping a light switch. Knight Bighorn, 420 grain .502 No Excuse, felt wad, 80 grains by volume of Pyrodex RS. He wasn't the biggest buck on the high desert, but I was so excited, like a kid again, getting my first deer. It dawned on me that I could have held out for a bigger one, but I don't care. Next time. But this one is at the taxidermist for a shoulder mount. Bonus; I was able to drive the truck to within 50yds to pick him up!View attachment 16557View attachment 16558View attachment 16559
Hunting those goats is mighty tricky. I tried several years ago, in archery season. They always managed to stay just out of range, till sunset and I had to stop stalking them.

I drew on a second chance draw for a ml pronghorn hunt, here in Idaho. First time I would ever get to hunt them, and in an area I had only driven through about 31 years ago. It felt like a grand adventure to the great unknown. I was a little concerned about my lack of experience with a tag that had been a long time coming, but it was also very exciting. Opening morning, I hunted where I'd seen some antelope the evening before, on the drive in. I saw several in twos, and threes, and a couple herds of 20-30 or more, but could not get into anywhere near my max ml range. The terrain was flat and the sagebrush was barely knee high. In the afternoon, I headed for some hills. I saw my buck and two does at about 450 yards, and this time I was able to back away and circle around to close the distance. I saw my buck again as I peeked through the brush at him, peeking back at me, at 147 yards. Still out of range, as I had no rest. I ducked low, crept forward and peeked up again, now at 110 yards, and they made me. The does were leaving, and the buck was starting to. Kneeling unsupported to reach over the brush, I judged the shot to look "good enough." BOOM! And they all took off. I very slowly reloaded, and went to follow up and look for blood, sure I'd missed, and chastising myself the whole way. Didn't find blood, but followed the way they went, and jumped him about 40 yards from where he'd been standing. A squeak on an antelope call stopped him for a 50 yard follow up shot that dropped him like flipping a light switch. Knight Bighorn, 420 grain .502 No Excuse, felt wad, 80 grains by volume of Pyrodex RS. He wasn't the biggest buck on the high desert, but I was so excited, like a kid again, getting my first deer. It dawned on me that I could have held out for a bigger one, but I don't care. Next time. But this one is at the taxidermist for a shoulder mount. Bonus; I was able to drive the truck to within 50yds to pick him up!View attachment 16557View attachment 16558View attachment 16559
Congrats on your first antelope! I'm sure you're addicted now.

It isn't about the size of the horns. It is about the thrill of the chase, and the good eating.
I've come to realize that hunting isn't as binary as "meat hunter" and "trophy hunter". I hunt to hunt.
But thrill of the chase and good eating works too. And Boone and Crocket points don't adequately assess all trophies.

Back