First Range Session with a White

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nocomike said:
I killed a nice, large bodied bull last year with a Mountaineer shooting 80g (volume) BH209 and 460g No Excuses. The range was less than 60 yards and shot was almost a perfect broadside opportunity. The bullet hit nothing but ribs and hide on the way to the engine room and at that distance I would have expected an exit. Bullet did not exit. That incident makes me question taking a shot at a bull past about 100 yards. I am fine with the limitations inherent with muzzleloaders but I would like the confidence in my load to get the job done out to 150 or so.

All three of the bulls I have killed have been over 100 yards, all three had the bullets just under the hide on the off side. Shooting 90 grains of Pyrodex and my homecast from a homemade mold copy of the old 395 grain Buck Buster. Not sure that was the weight on Doc's original, but it's what mine weigh.

I killed a nice, large bodied bull last year with a Mountaineer shooting 80g (volume) BH209 and 460g No Excuses. The range was less than 60 yards and shot was almost a perfect broadside opportunity. The bullet hit nothing but ribs and hide on the way to the engine room and at that distance I would have expected an exit. Bullet did not exit. That incident makes me question taking a shot at a bull past about 100 yards. I am fine with the limitations inherent with muzzleloaders but I would like the confidence in my load to get the job done out to 150 or so.
Pull the trigger. That’s a lot of mass there and still has plenty behind it to 200 yards. Three of my Black Powder bulls were 100plus yards and it had no problem. My buddy killed this bull at 181 yards. 90 grains Pyrodex Select and a 460 No excuses from his White Super 91 in Colorado this year.

I follow pretty much the same process as Steve.

1) Clean BBl with alcohol patch
2) Follow by Dry patch
3) Push Dry patch down and fire cap to burn out any oil in the breech plug area and make sure channel is clear ( Patch should be burnt) I didn't do this
one time and it cost me a fat doe. Thank god it wasn't a buck of a lifetime.
4) If going hunting fire another cap or two to foul bore. (Use to fire squib load 30gr of just powder, but the misses got her dandruff up when I did it in
the garage. GRIN Didn't do it at the state game lands as I didn't want to see flashing lights so early in the morning.
5) Load Powder/Wad/ and lubed conical.
6) Never tried the teflon plumbers tape, but I'll try it next time to the range.
I tried it, you may have seen it my post, Night out with the White. They didn’t impact the same, but they weren’t far off.

Back