First Saddle Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
another hour or so I’ll be going out for my first ever hunt out of a saddle and giving my vertical crossbow it’s first operational test. Not going to lie, feeling jitters. Just getting everything including myself up into the tree will be success enough for me tonight…though filling the freezer would sure be nice.

Good luck. A friend of mine has one of those. He hasn't used it much yet but says it's comfortable.
The new models out as of now are very comfortable. The biggest problem was hip pinch. Mostly resolved. I have one coming in a week or so. Best for me to work a lot at ground level for a while to get used to it. If I don't use it this year then there's next year.

The new models out as of now are very comfortable. The biggest problem was hip pinch. Mostly resolved. I have one coming in a week or so. Best for me to work a lot at ground level for a while to get used to it. If I don't use it this year then there's next year.
I'm not sure if I would like one.
So used to my old climber stand.

Always wanted a "Tree Lounger" but they never had a fat boy special model when I needed it , never seen one of the othrs

How complicated was it, really? Climbing and setting up?
What brand do you have?
I have the Tethrd Phantom XL. Easier than a lock on stand for sure, sameish level of exertion as a climber, but way smaller and less bulky.

Climbing sticks are the same as if you are using a lock on, so that is pretty simple...attach first one at ground level, climb up, attach the second and so forth. The platform attaches to the tree sort of like a miniature lock on. What I really like about the saddle are that you never detach from the tree even for a second...you use your lineman's belt until the tether is in place, leave both connected while you test the tether, then you detach the lineman. I really like putting the tree between me and the deer, just extra camo. Very easy to maneuver maybe 320 degrees...to get right behind you is trickier but doable. I find leaning more comfortable for long periods of time.

One thing to note: Not really ideal for a traditional crossbow because you'd have lean fairly wide out of the tree to make sure the bow limbs don't smack the tree...that's why I bought the vertical. Ravin makes a vertical now too, if you've got the bucks. If you shoot a comound bow, your are golden. Another nice thing is that the bridge- which is the piece of rope that crosses in front of your body and attaches to the tree tether is always under tension and makes a stable rest for shooting...I've also seen videos of guys using a bow holder to hold their rifles with a strap and then using the same bow holder to steady the barrel..so some good options.

They are not cheap, that is for sure, saddle, sticks, platform, necessary accessories and a pack that can accomodate it all is probably close to $1000 all said and done for a nice setup. But, most of the time I have to hunt public or semi-public land, so I need a system that I can take in and out with me every day and rather simply. This seems to fit the bill for me so far...Now I just need to learn to scout a whole lot more effectively than I do.

I am also trying the saddle as I also hunt public land with a muzzy. Early Season runs Oct 15-23. Don't have either the saddle or the climbing sticks yet so a little behind the 8 ball. I bought three Shikar sticks each with a three step aider. So that gives me fifteen steps up the tree. That will be high enough for me. I already have the line mans line and the tether for the tree. I bought the stick straps from The Amstel guy. For anyone considering saddle hunting he's sure worth checking out. For a platform the last stick up the tree has the platform built where there would otherwise be the last step. Can't wait to give it a try. I've not seen another deer hunter in Iowa using a saddle but am certain there are some. Got tired of my hangons and ladders getting stolen.

Latest posts

Back