First shots - Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Finally quit raining and went to the ranch to feed and shoot my new ML. Only shot 8 rounds to zero. Fired at 25yds only at this session.

Learned to load and marked range rod and ramrod for Unloaded/Loaded lengths. White Hots and Hornady Bore Driver FTX bullets.

Felt the crud ring develop but nothing major. After 4 rounds fired I learned it was much easier cleaning after 3 rounds on the range. Used saturated pads with Simple Green. One patch both sides wet followed by one patch both sides dry. Subsequent bullets loaded very easily. Simple Green cut the crud ring easily as well as the barrel. Each time I cleaned the barrel it came very clean on the dry patch. I was amazed at how easy it was to clean. Noticed the flash hole clogging a bit, so each time I cleaned between shots I’d run a cleaner thru it. No hang fires. Groups were around 1” or closer with one in the same hole. Found some bullets impacted in the dirt berm and dug them out. Expansion was very good and the jacket did not separate from the lead core. One had the flex tip embedded in it. Also, the polymer seals blew off around 50 ft from the muzzle. Only wear on them was on the front where they engaged the rifling.

All in all, it was a great afternoon and I learned a lot.

And…….. I HAD A BLAST!

Been asking lots of questions and you guys have helped me understand a bit better. I appreciate it. Next session will be 50 and 100 yds thru chrony. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks guys. I’ve still got lots to learn but it was an enjoyable session and there were really no ‘gotchas’. On the 4th shot, crud ring stopped bullet seating about 1/4” from powder, per my marked range rod. Breech Plug out, pellets out, pushed bullet on thru. Cleaned barrel/crud, reloaded (back to range rod mark), and continued.
White hots were not as clean as I hoped, and I’m not switching to loose powder yet, but cleaning was a breeze. Simple Green made it very easy, as did a warm barrel. I can live with 3 shots while hunting.
When I cleaned the rifle upon receiving, I had heard about Barricade here. I got some locally and used it inside and out. I had read where you could shoot thru it, but first fouling shot may be different POI. It was, but less than 1 inch at 25. Didn’t see where it hindered cleaning.
Upon completing sight-in, cleaned barrel as described above, ran an oil patch down it, packed up and went home. Upon reaching home, a complete tear down and cleaning was done. Breech Plug, firing pin, spring still soaking. Barricade in/on rifle when done.

On the 4th shot, crud ring stopped bullet seating about 1/4” from powder, per my marked range rod. Breech Plug out, pellets out, pushed bullet on thru. Cleaned barrel/crud, reloaded (back to range rod mark), and continued.

THIS is why witness marks are important… 1/4” might have been easy for you to miss, were it not for your witness mark! 😳

Great catch, way to go! :lewis:

Back