First Smokeless kill

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSR

Reaction score
Today was one of the few days I have been able to get out and even though it was -6 with the windchill I knew the deer would be moving. Unfortunately I was not watching a bedding area as close as I should have been and two small bucks snuck up on me and started feeding at about 50 yds. We decided this year we weren't going to shoot any bucks smaller that a 3.5 year old and have passed quite a few. Unfortunately we haven't had any clear shots at old does that we wanted to take and the big guys seemed very nocturnal this year.
After passing the little guys I noticed a big deer about 100yds in the brush and got ready. She stepped out and looked right at me and bobbed her head, I knew what that meant and only had a clear shot from the neck up. The Apex/Star tip combo is pretty impressive accuracy wise and I took the shot. She ran off and there must have been another 6 deer at least including a small 6pt we keep passing up following her. When I went to look for blood she had only gone about 10yds and fell down a ravine. Kinda hard to get used to not having a big cloud of smoke to wait for to see through.

Your patience paid off congrats! I’ve tried hunting with a smokeless ML 3 different seasons now and always end up with tag soup.

Congrats on the Deer! If i ever venture back in to inlines, i would definitely go Smokeless :lewis:

Congrats on the deer and first blood for the Apex. My sml Apex has become my all time favorite hunting rifle with 16 deer in 4 seasons so far.

I still miss the smoke but not the clean up. Smokeless ML since 2001. Good shooting.

I almost forgot, the powder is I4198 and did not have any ignition issues as cold as it was. I was a little worried for nothing,

Latest posts

Back