First successful Muzzleloader Bucks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoua

Reaction score
My brother and I got our first muzzleloader bucks last week. The 3x3 was 170 yards away and the 2x2 was 80 yards away. Both were shot with CVA Accura V2 with Barnes TEZ 290 grain bullet and BH 209 powder. We are very excited to be part of the muzzleloader community.
3x3 muzzleloader buck.jpg 2x2 muzzleloader buck 2.jpg

Congrats on two good deer, those ought to be good eating :2cool:.

Thanks everyone. I learned a lot about muzzleloader from this site. One thing I didn’t know about muzzleloader is the large amount of meat loss from the 50 cal bullet due to blood shot. We lost both front legs due to massive blood shots.

I still enjoy my bow hunting but something about muzzleloader hunting as I get older soothes my soul

Thanks everyone. I learned a lot about muzzleloader from this site. One thing I didn’t know about muzzleloader is the large amount of meat loss from the 50 cal bullet due to blood shot. We lost both front legs due to massive blood shots.
It looks like you were both aiming for the front legs? I personally go for the lungs/heart to save as much meat as possible. Try aiming just a little farther back just to miss those legs and your then in the Lung/Heart area,

Congrats! What state are you hunting? The pics don't look like my home here in KS.

As far as meat loss goes, I personally think it's less than CF. I go for a Vital / Pass though shot and have almost no loss.

The 170 yard shot is a dandy with a MZ.

Great results! How much Blackhorn do y’all use?

I used 80 grains BlackHorn 209 powder by weight along with Barnes TEZ 290 grain bullet. My brother used 72 grain BH powder by weight with Barnes TEZ 250 grain bullet.

It looks like you were both aiming for the front legs? I personally go for the lungs/heart to save as much meat as possible. Try aiming just a little farther back just to miss those legs and your then in the Lung/Heart area,

Coming from center fire rifle hunts we are still use to aim slightly up from the front leg. Great advice for next year's hunt.

Congrats! What state are you hunting? The pics don't look like my home here in KS.

As far as meat loss goes, I personally think it's less than CF. I go for a Vital / Pass though shot and have almost no loss.

The 170 yard shot is a dandy with a MZ.

We were in Utah for their general muzzleloader season.

I had him in sight closer the first time but tried to get closer. Once I got closer he disappeared. Continued looking for him and found him again but he's even further away. Walked another 10 yards closer, anchored my rifle against a tree, and aimed around the spine was barely enough to take him down. The point of impact was a few inches too low and go the legs.

In my experience I have far less meat loss with the copper monolithics than with anything else.

Congrats to you both on your deer!

Back