First time muzzleloading...What a blast!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking421a

Reaction score
Well I finally had a chance to spend a couple hours yesterday shooting the Omega I recentely purchased from big6x6 and I had a ball! I was shooting 777 both loose and pellets with 348 graing powerbelts. Shot mostly at 25 yd just trying to learn and getting acquainted with the new sport and the new rifle. The information I have learned here was such a big help.

Anyway with both 100 gr of pellets and 100gr of powder it seemed to shoot almost the same at 25 yds. I didn't move the sights or try to dial it in as I was just trying to learn how to shoot. I swabbed between shots with t/c pre soaked patches wich seemed to work well. Checked the breech plug after every 6-8 shots which I am happy to report I had absolutely no problems with it tightening up. And at the end of shooting I felt what I think was just a very minor "crud ring" which cleared out with just a few strokes with a patch and solvent.

All in All I rate my first outing big success and I can't wait to get back out there and try some more bullets and combinations. I also bought some 300 gr shockwaves which I didn't get a chance to shoot before it got dark.

Thanks to big6x6 and everyone else who has been kind enough to answer my newbie questions! :lol:

Viking421a

Hey Viking
I have been shooting my Omega with the 348 powerbelt aerotip exclusively for some time now. Its going to be my load for the Elk trip to Co. in a little over a month. I use 115 gr.of T7, any higher and groups open up. This is what I get, at 77 yards I am 2 1/2" high. At 118 yds. I am dead on. At 160 yards I am 6" low and at 200 I am 20"low.
These are with a peep sight ,Groups are very good up to 160 after that it is hard to see the target with the peep.
I feel you will like the Omega.
Redclub

I'm so pleased you like it! I can tell you that is one of the best shooting muzzleloaders I've ever owned!

All I want to see NOW is some pics of some critters you've shot with it! :D

Redclub- thanks for the load info, I am glad to see there is another powerbelt shooter here. I don't have any experience with other bullets but the powerbelts were a lot of fun!

Big6x6- I love this Omega. I just got finished taking it completely apart and cleaning it on the kitchen counter. Typically my wife starts yelling at me to take that smelly thing outside when I am cleaning a gun as soon as I open the bottle of HOPES solvent. Needless to say there was no HOPES involved today so this process was not only easy but, much to my wife's liking, odor free. :D

Viking421a

viking421a,
The Omega's a good gun. I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I do mine.

Omega.jpg

Viking is a lot of fun.Been doing it for 30+ years .Redclub I'm glad you can still shoot open sights.I can't line up the 3 points any more.I'm thankful that Mississippi Let us blind old men use scopes. :shock:

I am going to Co. so only open sights allowed It took quite awhile to get used to a peep sight again. Here in Wi. we can use a 1x scope. Thats what I have on the Savage. I here what you are saying about old eyes.
The Omega will be my going out West gun, everything else it will be the Savage. The Omega does shoot the powerbelts a little better than the Savage, or it could be the peep versus open sights.
I can hold a 2" group at 118 yds with the Omega.
This is with a special target. It is a 18'' archery target with lime green duct tape across it up and down on the top of that I put a 6' blaze orange circle. I line the crosses with the front sight and put the orange circle on top of the front bead. Now if I can only find an Elk with large lime green crosses on it. :lol:
Redclub

No Hoppes?
Heck, I put an open bottle on the bench even when I'm cleaning the gun with water just because I like the smell! :lol:

:D Nice Twanger! That would surely get me kicked into the garage next time I needed to clean!

Back