First time shooting Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to shoot the Knight for the first time. I received the original literature that came when the gun was new and have determined that it is an MK 85 Stalker produced after 1992 with the 1 in 28 twist barrel. I have both ignition systems for it but have decided to start with the FPJ 209 since I cant get any loose Triple 7 right now. I am going to start with 80 grains 1 30 grain and 1 50 Triple 7 pellet and a Cutting Edge 250 grain Maximus bullet in the recommended green crush rib sabot. I plan on testing 80, 90 and 100 grain loads with the open sighs since this gun will be used in stands where my shots are under 70 yards. I have used this bullet and sabot combo in my Acura and it is great for white tail. I am hoping to get good accuracy with this setup and if so I am going to switch to fiber optic sights and carry it a few times this fall. I noticed that the barrel crown is concave from the edge inward and remember a post discussing that this is how you can determine who produced the barrel so I will try and track that down. Will post the results of my first range session hopefully tomorrow. Really excited to shoot this gun as I have never had any experience with Knight Rifles but understand that they can be very accurate.

I’m sure you will find it very accurate, I have a knight mountaineer 45 cal and I’ve ordered another 50 cal barrel and everything I will need to make it a complete rifle except the trigger. That will be next on the list. I’m sure I can find one once I start looking.

I think there is something you overlooked. Its the length of the 250gr .429 bullet and will it stabilize in a 1-28 with that kind of load behind it.

OAL: 1.069"
Required Twist Rate 1:24" or faster
JBM says no way Jose in a 1-28 at 1600fps and you will be lucky to get that much speed.
Stability:0.953

Notice how much longer it is that the 210gr. I believe the listed OAL is wrong because the 210gr is listed at over 1.1"
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/44cal-210gr-mzl-maximus-12ct
img-3304-2_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting data. I have shot these through two different Accura rifles with different barrel lengths both with 1 in 28 twist and gotten good results on deer and superior accuracy. I will Mic the overall bullet length today and fire a few to see what my initial results are. You may be right however and if so I will try another combo and tinker with powder charge. Maybe even pick up some of the 210 grainers. I love working up a good load for a new gun should be a fun day.

This was with 100 Grains at 50 yards with the open sights I definitely need to put a set of fiber optics on this. Gun definitely preferred 100 Grains over the 80 and 90 Grain loads. Very pleasant to shoot with this combo and not as bad to clean as I had heard. The windage on the rear sight had to be moved quite a bit to the left so I will be watching that when I put new sights on it.

Attachments

• 2E35B927-ED65-47BA-A008-29EF38FF8F25.jpeg
    2E35B927-ED65-47BA-A008-29EF38FF8F25.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back