First turkeys for us.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
For many years I have fished for spring catfish. Every year I have noticed turkeys and observed their habits. Also for years I have thought maybe I should try to hunt them.

My son kind of spurred my to try it this year. I'm not a turkey hunter. I don't own camo for hunting. I have no idea how to hunt them. I know nothing about turkeys other than what I saw while fishing.

So we applied for tags and got them. My preparation for the hunt revolved mostly around getting work stuff taken care of so I could take a couple days off at work.

I asked my friend Jeff for some turkey hunting tips. He loaned us a decoy, and we discussed the unique circumstances of the hunt. We had no private land to hunt, and the spot I had picked allowed us no opportunity to be able to move locations.

The days before our hunt were no different. I did finally find a turkey load. And got my stuff together. I realized I don't have camo. So on my way to go hunting with my son he thought maybe we should get camo so we stop and buy some second hand camo and head out.

We used Jacob's canoe for the hunt. We paddled to the spot we planned to hunt the night before. We saw quite a few birds, and made a plan. We got to our spot about 9:00 am. We listened to birds, and saw quite a few. Do to private land around us we couldn't move anywhere to locate the birds so we waited for them to come to us. The tiny island we hunted was below high water line. Therfore it was open to hunt. But we couldn't set foot on private land. Our island was 10 yards wide and about 40 yards long.

A large Tom looked like he was going to fly across the river to us. Just before he did a coyote showed up and the bird was gone. Then I saw the coyote busting up the flock.
Not being turkey hunters we just sat there in our makeshift blind, and waited. We would have to wait for the birds to come to us after being flushed by the coyote.

It was about 2:00 in the afternoon when a hen turkey flew over to us and landed in a tree a few yards away from us. After a few more minutes I stepped behind us to answer a call of nature. I was just about to get back to our blind when Jacob said turkeys were flying to us.

I look up to see a dozen birds or more in the air flying to us. Two had locked on to our decoy. Both birds heads were flame red, and about 10 feet above the river, and coming.

The decoy was 13 yards out in front us. The two turkeys were coming in hot. As the first bird swings left and lands I whisper take him to Jacob. He waits a few seconds for the second bird to land with the decoy.

Jacob cuts the first bird down with one of my hand loads in his Remington 11-87. The second bird just starts to display his tail feathers. Jacob's bird was flopping and went into the water. Then I cut down the second bird.

Our first turkeys was racing through my mind, we did it! As we walked to the birds we gave each high fives. We were instantly reliving the experience that just unfolded. Explaining each of our experience of the hunt that we both just had. Jacob fished his bird out of the water, and I picked up mine. We took some pictures, and headed out.

Again I've never successfully hunted turkeys before. Our hunt was more like a duck or a goose hunt. Putting out a decoy on the waters edge and waiting for the birds to fly to us over the water. Both of the birds we shot were Jake's. Young males that can't entertain the ladies due to their youth and small size.

I enjoyed this hunt with my son. No, I really, really enjoyed this hunt with him. We don't get the chance to get out like we used to. Family, and work tends to reduce the time we can get to spend together. I appreciate the help he gave me to get my first turkey. Watching him get his first one was priceless.

Attachments

• 20230414_181954.jpg
    20230414_181954.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_184146.jpg
    20230414_184146.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_084644.jpg
    20230415_084644.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_085816.jpg
    20230415_085816.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_142929.jpg
    20230415_142929.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230415_144759.jpg
    20230415_144759.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I started this year as well (and got my first bird Friday)

For cheap camo I *really* like the $25ish mesh suits with leafs you can get on amazon with a matching face mask and then some mesh camo gloves. Here in Florida it is possible to be hunting in low 30s one day and mid 70s the next. Or even low 30s in the morning and mid 60s at noon. By using the super light mesh I can dress appropriately underneath and then cover it all up.

You did well!! One week of the Virginia season is behind us. I'm sure glad we don't have to go through the process of applying for a tag. In Virginia we purchase a "Big Game" license that's good for 3 turkeys and 6 deer.
Love the spring turkey hunting!!

Thanks guys. That was a different kind of a hunt for me. All those years of catfishing paid off.

Congratulations guys. Great story and Great father and son hunt I’m sure y’all are hooked now. I’ve been a turkey junkie for decades. I got my first of the year yesterday. It’s been tough hunting they opened our season in Tennessee 2 weeks later than in the past and the birds are henned up bad and barely gobbling
I finally got one to come in close enough. He never gobbled but drummed all the way in.

Attachments

• DDAE6D4E-98B4-4B28-8ECC-2C0FEB9D4D40.png
    DDAE6D4E-98B4-4B28-8ECC-2C0FEB9D4D40.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
I started Turkey hunting 40 years ago and that's the best story I ever heard!
Congratulations!
Great father, son story 😊

When thinking of a plan for this hunt I talked a a lot of guys. They all said find the roost trees. I couldn't do that. That. The only legal place to hunt was this tiny island. 10 yards wide 40 yards long.

That must have been a fun time for you and Jacob. And now you two are Accomplished Turkey Hunters. .
Incredible to me ( as I’m east coast WV here ) the area you guys had to hunt on. 10x40.
Now I have a challenge for ya.
With your hunting and muzzle loader skills, next spring turkey season use ML shotgun. You’ll love it.

Latest posts

Back