First winter river trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
Deer season has been fairly bad this year with the loss of our hunting lease, and we don’t have ice yet on the lakes so I headed to the river. A 31” steelhead and a 30” walleye were the headliners..also boated 2 more walleye that were sub 20” and a couple of channel cats were in the mix as well.

Attachments

• 5A2695D4-2313-4768-9C6B-9BF6DEAD0BF3.jpeg
    5A2695D4-2313-4768-9C6B-9BF6DEAD0BF3.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 9
  • CD177EC4-3CAB-42AC-A7A6-33F0514D9AFF.jpeg
    CD177EC4-3CAB-42AC-A7A6-33F0514D9AFF.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 9
Deer season has been fairly bad this year with the loss of our hunting lease, and we don’t have ice yet on the lakes so I headed to the river. A 31” steelhead and a 30” walleye were the headliners..also boated 2 more walleye that were sub 20” and a couple of channel cats were in the mix as well.

Sounds like a Good Trip :lewis: Heck I’ve never had a bad fishing trip :)

Your name here on the forum brings back memories to me, I was Born & Raised on the Wa Coast, We had 3 Rivers within a few miles of eachother. I owned a Guide Model Drift boat. I fished for all species of Salmon, and Steelhead from the time i was a little Kid, up until 10-11 years ago when i moved here to Idaho. Every year I would get at least 5 or 6 Steelhead that Were 20 pounds and a bit Over, the largest One i ever Caught i was unable to Weigh it, It was a GIANT, I caught it in “Catch & Release” I had nothing to Weigh it, I couldn’t get my Hand around the Girth of His Tail. The “Golden” Number was 20 Pounds, I have caught & seen a TON of them size fish over the years

Sounds like a really great time! I’m actually in Michigan, the west side at that..lots of steelhead opportunities and in the fall salmon make their run up the river, I tend to stay clear of the rivers then as it’s mass chaos usually. This time of year from about now til February the rivers aren’t hit early as bad. I was walleye fishing this past weekend and the steelhead was a great bonus. I am hoping to get back out again soon, if the lakes freeze I’ll have another reason to get out of the house as well 😂

Sounds like a really great time! I’m actually in Michigan, the west side at that..lots of steelhead opportunities and in the fall salmon make their run up the river, I tend to stay clear of the rivers then as it’s mass chaos usually. This time of year from about now til February the rivers aren’t hit early as bad. I was walleye fishing this past weekend and the steelhead was a great bonus. I am hoping to get back out again soon, if the lakes freeze I’ll have another reason to get out of the house as well 😂

I’m ready for Ice as well!! As much money as i just spent in the last month I’m gonna Cry if we don’t get any Ice 😂 I’m sure we will, We always do anyway.

I bought this Tent, Eskimo FatFish 949i, Insulated version
CKQSwD7.jpg

Milwaukee M18 Fuel Drill, with 8” Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger
Nux4sEF.jpg

This guy is going through 30” or so of Ice with the Exact setup i bought, We NEVER get that amount of Ice, About 18 to 20 inches is the thickest I’ve seen here, 12” inch more the Norm

Never knew you were into ice fishing! I’ve got the m18 fuel drill with a 6” lazer auger attached to it. It’s a monster when cutting through ice. Gull lake here in Michigan got a little over 20” of ice about 4 winters ago and that thing never failed me..and I tip up fish and hole hop a lot so I drill a lot of holes and I Couldn't believe how well it performed. I think we will be in ice here by the weekend if the snow doesn’t kill it

Never knew you were into ice fishing! I’ve got the m18 fuel drill with a 6” lazer auger attached to it. It’s a monster when cutting through ice. Gull lake here in Michigan got a little over 20” of ice about 4 winters ago and that thing never failed me..and I tip up fish and hole hop a lot so I drill a lot of holes and I Couldn't believe how well it performed. I think we will be in ice here by the weekend if the snow doesn’t kill it

I love to “TIP UP” Fish for Northern Pike through the ice here! That’s what HOOKED me on it!!

This is my Dad with 2 Dandy’s from here several years ago now, He was CLOSE to the State Record both times here :lewis:
3NZoNED.jpg

9dwZk6e.jpg

Sounds like a good trip. When I lived back east, my buddies and I made several trips to Oswego, New York for the steelhead. Never caught any but fun nonetheless.

Those are some dandy gators Lewis. I no longer fish the ice but a buddy does the tip-up thing for pike and once each winter he'll call up to come look at his catch like one of those.

Back