Fitting Factory stocks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone else does it or do they back off because resale value ? Me personally fit each one i buy to fit me n be comfortable while shooing. Example i bought a used/abused T/C Hawken in a .45 cal. it was a kit rifle as the serial # said so with the K before it. Stock was not finished very well , it was never sealed on the wood. So it will swell up when it get soaked. I avoid hunting in the rain with it. So i have cut the butt of stock off, i have it shortened to fit my lop now. So there be not doubt i will get my money's worth out of it. I have no idea why it was auctioned off. The bore is great, no chatter n on the tight side of its tooling size. A rb using a .010 patch material is snug, the .015 thickness. Is plenty accurate. If i don't like the ML after i bought it or its just not going to work for me. I just resell it, no reason to fit it too me

I would reckon that if someone wants to keep the resale factor in mind, they may shy away from cutting on a stock. But not all. If I am out to keep the thing for the long haul, I wouldn't mind customizing it to fit me.

I've never altered a gun stock. Messed around with barrels and other parts though.
Reducing the lop isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's always someone looking for a shorter gun for a youth.

Latest posts

Back