Flat Nose on the Snover

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here it is.

Attachments

• D72BDBAA-E0D4-408E-9AD8-B7A29EF88777.jpeg
    D72BDBAA-E0D4-408E-9AD8-B7A29EF88777.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
  • C39EDB8A-F5E0-4460-95D7-BE5A33C615DB.jpeg
    C39EDB8A-F5E0-4460-95D7-BE5A33C615DB.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 15
As you can tell, the mould wasn’t hot yet. The boss was calling wondering when I was headed home. So I was in a hurry... I was more interested in the way the profile looked and approximate weight, than casting a perfect bullet.

Cant wait to see what the performance difference will be. For some reason i thought you were going to change the ogive so that it came out to full diameter, instead of having the shoulder.

Cant wait to see what the performance difference will be. For some reason i thought you were going to change the ogive so that it came out to full diameter, instead of having the shoulder.
I think that would put me back up at 530 grainsish (not a word, I know that) not opposed to that, and yes Ed is right, that will be the next modification to that bullet.
Gotta order some more drill rod to make nose cutters out of. That nose cutter was just low carbon steel that I used Cherry Red case hardening compound on. Worked out great. Great stuff IMO.
I actually made a gear cutter out of (I thought was drill rod) low carbon steel, case hardened it with Cherry Red, and cut a pinion gear for my Grizzly lathe. There’s a video series on my YouTube channel of that.

With no shoulder, the meplat would be even bigger, which should improve performance on game.

With no shoulder, the meplat would be even bigger, which should improve performance on game.
I’m no ballistics expert by any stretch but, I think the meplat is big enough to get good expansion, with all that weight behind it. I’d like to keep it as aerodynamic as possible, just to keep the higher B.C. I’ll probably remake the nose cutter to try and stay with the same diameter meplat.
Thinking of ordering some brass to build the mould out of. I absolutely LOVE machining brass and I feel it would make a pretty high quality mould.
Sure will look purty until I get casting with it.

Back