Floating barrel on White Bison and scope mounting questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icerman

Reaction score
I just bought a custom Bison from Doc White. It has a 25" long, 1" bull barrel. The stock is a painted wood. The barrel is not floated. Doc said that the bull barrels don't need floated. I have not shot it yet. I generally float my barrels. What is your experience with shooting the bison with the bull barrel? What are your recommendations?

I want to put a scope on it. Since the Warne bases for the white rifles are not available, I read about using Weaver #11 and #35 bases. I would like to position the scope more forward so I don't get, "scoped". What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
Icerman

I would listen to Doc. Shoot it as is. I have weaver bases on all my whites and never been scoped with any of them. The only issue I’ve ever had is on the S91 using a Vortex scope, I think Diamondback, I had to shim under the scope on the front ring cause I couldn’t get my group down to zero.

I have a White Whitetail and the barrel is floated.

Did you use standard scope rings or reach forward rings to give you an additional 1/2" forward? The Warne base I have on my other muzzleloader have two settings allowing me to set the scope 1" forward. Was hoping to set things up similar but can't find the Warne bases.

All three of my White rifles are scoped using Warne bases and Weaver rings.

Thanks everyone for your information on the bases and rings. I will have to shoot the gun and determine if I need to float the barrel or not. Does anyone who has a commercially built bison know if their barrel is floated?

Latest posts

Back