For Idaholewis

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the peep and globe sights on tonight. Everything went well, following your directions. Thanks for all the help!

One more question Idaholewis,
Where did you get the case that you keep your globe inserts in? Looks pretty handy, those things are hard to handle when they're just in a pile.
Thanks, Mike

Might as well Strike while the Iron is Hot :)
How to install a Lyman 17 series Globe front Sight (Or Any Front Sight For that matter)...
...NONE of this stuff is hard to do, grab the Bull by the Horns and do it! Quit Paying a Gunsmith to do these SIMPLE things!

Hi, I made my own dovetail to mount the Lyman 17AHB. It would fasten onto the pre-drilled holes on the barrel and get rid of the need to permanently shave metal off of your barrel. I just ordered my first prototype and will test it out on my T/C Bone Collector this month. I will keep this forum updated with my results. Here is a render of my current model. I appreciate any feedback.
DOVETAIL.JPG

It is an easy, straight forward process. First thing, is the Tang on your Rifle Drilled and Tapped for a Peep? TC Made some of Both, Some Tangs came Tapped for a Peep from the Factory, and Some Did not, out of my MANY Renegades and Hawkens only 1 of mine was Factory Drilled and Tapped, all of my others Required me to do it.

Not Drilled and Tapped for Peep. If your Tang is like this one you will need to Drill and Tap it to 8-32
xuqG2eum.jpg

Factory Drilled and Tapped for Peep, they added a Plug to protect the Threads.
qG1e1Hvm.jpg

The Lyman 57 Base will need to be Modified so that it Clears the Forward Wrist Wood of the Renegade.

It will look like this when you are done with it, i use a Dremel with a Sanding Wheel, takes about 2 minutes to do this. You can paint this black, or ignore it, it is Aluminum therefore will not Rust and this is Hidden as you will see below
Hof8uFWl.jpg

Here you can See how it Clears the Forward Wrist Wood of this Renegade.
WaZa7aYl.jpg

This is a FUZZY Picture of a Lyman 57 on 1 of my Hawkens, i did not have to do the Above sight base Mod on this Rifle, it Cleared after i added the Required Front Washers to take out the “Forward Tilt” here you can see the Corner that needs to be Removed from the Sight Base for Renegade installation. The Hawkens are a Bit thinner Through the Wrist of the Stock than the Renegades, Some Hawkens do not need the Sight Base Mod, But so far all Renegades i have worked with do, The Forward Wrist Wood of the Renegade’s are a Bit Thicker.

See the Corner on the under
It is an easy, straight forward process. First thing, is the Tang on your Rifle Drilled and Tapped for a Peep? TC Made some of Both, Some Tangs came Tapped for a Peep from the Factory, and Some Did not, out of my MANY Renegades and Hawkens only 1 of mine was Factory Drilled and Tapped, all of my others Required me to do it.

Not Drilled and Tapped for Peep. If your Tang is like this one you will need to Drill and Tap it to 8-32
xuqG2eum.jpg

Factory Drilled and Tapped for Peep, they added a Plug to protect the Threads.
qG1e1Hvm.jpg

The Lyman 57 Base will need to be Modified so that it Clears the Forward Wrist Wood of the Renegade.

It will look like this when you are done with it, i use a Dremel with a Sanding Wheel, takes about 2 minutes to do this. You can paint this black, or ignore it, it is Aluminum therefore will not Rust and this is Hidden as you will see below
Hof8uFWl.jpg

Here you can See how it Clears the Forward Wrist Wood of this Renegade.
WaZa7aYl.jpg

This is a FUZZY Picture of a Lyman 57 on 1 of my Hawkens, i did not have to do the Above sight base Mod on this Rifle, it Cleared after i added the Required Front Washers to take out the “Forward Tilt” here you can see the Corner that needs to be Removed from the Sight Base for Renegade installation. The Hawkens are a Bit thinner Through the Wrist of the Stock than the Renegades, Some Hawkens do not need the Sight Base Mod, But so far all Renegades i have worked with do, The Forward Wrist Wood of the Renegade’s are a Bit Thicker.

See the Corner on the underside of the 57 Sight Base i am Talking about here? Look between this pic and the 1 above
cID7C5Mm.jpg

Back close to 15 years ago when I first started the base mod on the Lyman 57, guys were carving their stocks. I could not see carving the stocks to accommodate the sight. For the life of me I don't know why Lyman hasn't addressed this in production.

Can i ask a question not related to the sights??? Where do you get the replacement barrels for your Renegade ('s) rifles? thanks! Kirk Also,, who carries the Lyman sight? Dixie gunworks seems to always be out of stock.. The do have a "vernier" type sight in stock, but it's not as robust as the lyman.

Back