• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD For Sale Knight MK-85 54cal with Black Ice Coating

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I picked up this MK- 85 54cal from someone local a little while back. Its my second MK-85 54cal. Sold my other one too. Got this one to help out the guy. It was in great shape but I had noticed a small spot of rust next to the front scope base and when the base was removed saw some more. The pics may make it look worse than it is. Not sure what caused it but suspect it had been a little wet from hunting and possibly some 777 fouling got under the base, 777 2f is what was used in it. I also found one small spot in the bore about 3” from the muzzle. I can’t hook it with anything but it is a small smooth pit of some kind, one pic has it circled. The Rest of the bore looks bright smooth and shinny. He hunted with it one time cleaned it and put it away.

This is a Blued rifle with Black composite stock (MK-85 Stalker). I cleaned it up and found the bore was bright and shinny except for that one defect. I tried my best to get a good pic of it and the bore but this is as good as my crappy camera can do. Some pics of the bore has some shadows but those are not rust, just shadows from my crappy camera. I just got this rifle back from Black Ice Coatings and had the whole barreled action coated, except for the trigger and sights. They bead blast the parts with fine beads so those small pits in the top of the action were cleaned out and with the coating they should not be an issue. Most of it is under the scope base. The trigger was not coated, was afraid that might mess up the trigger. The Stock mounting and trigger screws were also coated. The Plunger has a new spring and as you can see they even coated the Breech plug and the nipple that was in it. This hammer originally had a cone in it that would damage the nipples, like in my old one, so that was milled down. Trigger is a Knight, not Timney, but still a good trigger. Has the original Fiber Optic sights. He had misplaced the Ramrod so I took one from my spare MK-95 and changed the jag from a 50 cal to a new 54cal Knight Jag. It is the Knight Extending rod.

I will also include a bulk bag of 100 MMP 50x54 Sabots (I bought in bulk), one box of 50 Rainier 500dia 336gn HP bullets (Also from a Bulk pack) and one unopened box of 50 Speer Jacketed HP Bullets, and one new Knight Nipple. There is a Knight breech plug tool and the Allen wrench included. I have a second Hammer kit that has several Brass Large Rifle Primer adapters that will snap onto the Nipples (I had this kit for several years and bought it from another Member but don’t recall who, but will never need it after this rifle is gone).

Price is $375 shipped to lower 48 (was going to ask more but with the spot in the bore I knocked off a little. I will ship the Accessories separate in a flat rate box unless I can find one that will hold it all. You can have a 3 day no fire inspection of the rifle. * Note that the cost of the Black Ice alone was $180 plus initial shipping*. With the extras I am not making anything on it. I’m selling this to try to fund another rifle.

Attachments

• DSCF1338.JPG
    DSCF1338.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF1346.JPG
    DSCF1346.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF1347.JPG
    DSCF1347.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1348.JPG
    DSCF1348.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF1349.JPG
    DSCF1349.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 47
More pics.

Attachments

• DSCF1350.JPG
    DSCF1350.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1354.JPG
    DSCF1354.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1355.JPG
    DSCF1355.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Pit circled.jpg
    Pit circled.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF1371.JPG
    DSCF1371.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF1373.JPG
    DSCF1373.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 37
Extras.

Attachments

• DSCF1359.JPG
    DSCF1359.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
Can't believe it's not already sold! Black ice is the best coating next to nitride from my experience.
If this was a white rifle it would be heading to me!!

Thanks. It was my first experience with Black Ice and I think it looks great. I love that satin black look. I am planning to ship my Mk-95's to him in January or February when I scratch up a couple bucks, or get some Stimulatin Money. ;)

I liked blackice so much I had my 870 Remington shotgun done. It's a simple job now to clean up my gun's that are iced.

Well that was quick at least for me.

Rifle is SPF!

Thanks John!

Thank you Shawn. Black Ice is what got me! Been wanting to get a rifle done with it and wanted a 54 Knight. A two for one! We used black ice on some of the marine corps guns we were developing and that stuff just got slicker the more rounds we cycled.

Thank you Shawn. Black Ice is what got me! Been wanting to get a rifle done with it and wanted a 54 Knight. A two for one! We used black ice on some of the marine corps guns we were developing and that stuff just got slicker the more rounds we cycled.

Your Welcome John and Thanks again to you too.
Lee mentioned this and was talking about some semi auto pistols.
When I sent it out I had 2 things in mind. Protecting those little spots and I had really wanted to see what the coating looked like up close. Figured this was the best way to do it. I Really liked it, and looks like it will really hold up. I can't say I ever heard anyone say anything bad about it. So planning to send a couple more now. Never thought about selling it when I sent it out but later realized I just will not really use it, so figured someone on this forum would give it a good home. I still have my MK-95 54 and would not part with it. I'm also contemplating a 45cal and lighter bullets to lower the recoil on me some due to some neck/back issues that have come up.

I'm sure you will like this one, if not get back to me.

Your Welcome John and Thanks again to you too.
Lee mentioned this and was talking about some semi auto pistols.
When I sent it out I had 2 things in mind. Protecting those little spots and I had really wanted to see what the coating looked like up close. Figured this was the best way to do it. I Really liked it, and looks like it will really hold up. I can't say I ever heard anyone say anything bad about it. So planning to send a couple more now. Never thought about selling it when I sent it out but later realized I just will not really use it, so figured someone on this forum would give it a good home. I still have my MK-95 54 and would not part with it. I'm also contemplating a 45cal and lighter bullets to lower the recoil on me some due to some neck/back issues that have come up.

I'm sure you will like this one, if not get back to me.

Where did you have it done?
Black ice

MK85 in 54cal is one of the best handling MLs i have ever shouldered. Mine was a Predator and i should have never sold it.

You are correct GM, they handle great. I've had 2 but just don't need 3 54's so sold one a while back off site and now this one. My MK95 handles just like it and plan to keep it. It was just too hard to get it so would not part with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back