Foxtrot Ammo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tungsten steel loads are all the craze in the turkey hunting industry now a days. With good reason. Some guys are claiming kills out to 40 plus yards with 410 shotguns. I don't doubt it. I have seen some of their patterns on paper targets. Lots of companies now selling tungsten turkey ammo and I think it's great. But it is not for me. Two reasons. First, I can't justify the cost. Also, I like to spend time and ammo at the range sighting in at different distances. I would go broke just sighting in.
Second, I like to call my birds in as close as possible before I pull the trigger. Just seems more sporting for me personally that way. Most of my shots are 20 yds and under. Tungsten steel is not needed at my limitations.
A guy I work with prides him self on the long distances he has killed gobblers with his tungsten loads. Some of them 70 plus yds he claims. Others pride them selves on how close they can get the bird to them before taking the shot. To each his own.
I started hunting with Winchester Long Beard XR loads over 5 years ago.(12 ga, 3.5'' #4 loads) They pattern great out of my gun out to 50 yds. I have killed two gobblers with them at distances of 45 and 47 yds. I almost felt guilty for taking such long shots. Both birds dropped and flopped at the shot. I can only imagine how much I can increase my range if I were to switch to tungsten. It seems like the real deal. Almost seems unfair, LOL.
My longest kills were from hevi13 20ga 6’s. Grossly misjudged yardage in a foggy rainy morning in a state I was unfamiliar with in the terrain.
Yes there are those who pride in shooting long shots, but the majority of my customers it’s all about having the absolute best load available.
Longbeards are crazy on recoil

my 410 28ga and 20ga does better patterns with far less felt recoil.

My longest kills were from hevi13 20ga 6’s. Grossly misjudged yardage in a foggy rainy morning in a state I was unfamiliar with in the terrain.
Yes there are those who pride in shooting long shots, but the majority of my customers it’s all about having the absolute best load available.

Yep..

I have never shot one over about 30 yards, I enjoy getting Gobblers in Close, Where you can hear them breathe. I have as much fun calling them in Close like that as i get Shooting one

I have never shot one over about 30 yards, I enjoy getting Gobblers in Close, Where you can hear them breathe. I have as much fun calling them in Close like that as i get Shooting one
You have to poke him out further with the gun barrel before you shoot him....lol....

A tss 9 or 10 has more energy than a 4 or 5 lead at 50 yards. Lead will not even come close too shooting with it. TSS is like 2 times heavier than lead. Stuff is pricey but worth it turkey hunting. Apex Ninja 10 ct 410 3 inch 9.5 shot 54.00 last ones i bought. They went up to 62.00 now. I bought federal 20 ga tss 9 shot 45.00 for 5 ct. I think 10ga 5 ct is 66.00 or 68.00.

Last edited:
A tss 9 or 10 has more energy than a 4 or 5 lead at 50 yards. Lead will not even come close too shooting with it. TSS is like 2 times heavier than lead. Stuff is pricey but worth it turkey hunting. Apex Ninja 10 ct 410 3 inch 9.5 shot 54.00 last ones i bought. They went up to 62.00 now. I bought federal 20 ga tss 9 shot 45.00 for 5 ct. I think 10ga 5 ct is 66.00 or 68.00.
I agree especially in the smaller gauges. I would rather roll my own.

Back