free powder!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe aluminum is non static. Many years ago they used it in electric wiring. Stick with wood. ?

I know most tools that are advertised as not producing static are made out of conductive materials. Metals and possibly a partially conductive plastic or similar material. It is the materials that are good insulators that like to generate static. Many plastics are at the top of that category. I would wager that aluminum would be considered a non static material.

When I was looking for screens to sift home ground wheat flour down to pastry flour grade the only places that I could find such things, in quantifiable, graduated screens was the scientific/mining industry. In a bakery there is usually only one type of such tool, and all of the ones that I have seen are made from aluminum, approximately 16"-18" in diameter, with sides that are about 4"-5" tall.

The scientific ones that I found were primarily made of brass, were pretty much identical in construction to the aluminum ones that I had used in bakeries, and ranged in diameter from, if I correctly recall, 6" to 24"(?). I might be totally wrong about the size on the larger end of the scale. I was going to purchase ones that were at least 12" in diameter, because I knew from experience that anything smaller in diameter would be too fiddly to be useful for sifting flour. Ultimately, I elected not to purchase the grain mill, and not buy the set of 5-6 brass screens that I was going to need. At a cost of close to $100.00 each.

Back