Free rod nothing but troubles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Won a free telescoping rod and when i saw it looked fine it's a kagawa 150 but I fished with it once and the eye guides moved and sections got stuck do I glue the guide back on with glue? And how do I stop it from getting stuck

I have wrapped eyes on with real small light braided fishing line and then epoxied over that for a real good permanent repair. Also used hot glue instead of epoxy for a less than permanent mount(in case i wanted to change them later).

Epoxy should work well before hot glue would.

Do what michiganmuzzy said and use either light braided fishing line or some nylon thread and wrap the guide feet to the rod and then use more epoxy to coat the wrappings. That is a professional-quality repair.

Check out some of the MudHole tackle videos.
The tip on the rod can be done with hot melt glue. The other rod guides are properly done by wrapping the feet with thread and then coating with a 2 part epoxy as has been stated. A quickie repair can be done with varnish.

I just completed a Fly rod build this past weekend. The best way is to wrap thread on the rod and then up over the foot of the guide. The Mudhole videos are a good place to see how to do that. Once you are done wrapping the guide, make sure it lines up appropriately with other guides and then use a flexible epoxy to set it. A turner is really needed to do this correctly, but you can do it with a lot of patience.

I just completed a Fly rod build this past weekend. The best way is to wrap thread on the rod and then up over the foot of the guide. The Mudhole videos are a good place to see how to do that. Once you are done wrapping the guide, make sure it lines up appropriately with other guides and then use a flexible epoxy to set it. A turner is really needed to do this correctly, but you can do it with a lot of patience.
well heres the thing the guides dont have feet there just metal circles

I have built a fair number of rods in my day and have never seen rod guides with out feet. Check out MudHole Tackle's on line catalog and if you can't find something similar to what ever that broke on yours I believe I would go to Walmart and purchase a Shackespeare Ugly Stick rod and hit the lake.

well heres the thing the guides dont have feet there just metal circles
I am not sure what type of rod you are talking about then. Seems really weird. I have never heard of a Kagawa Rod, but I know what I would do. It was free, guides are falling off, and it is a brand that no one is familiar with? I would move on personally.

Good luck and I hope you figure out a way to fix it if you like it.

FH

I am not sure what type of rod you are talking about then. Seems really weird. I have never heard of a Kagawa Rod, but I know what I would do. It was free, guides are falling off, and it is a brand that no one is familiar with? I would move on personally.

Good luck and I hope you figure out a way to fix it if you like it.

FH

All I could find on the net was a telescopic rod from Kagawa, Taiwan, that has eyes attached to short ferrules on the ends of each rod section.

So I would just make sure all old glue is off and epoxy that ferrule back in place.

All I could find on the net was a telescopic rod from Kagawa, Taiwan, that has eyes attached to short ferrules on the ends of each rod section.

So I would just make sure all old glue is off and epoxy that ferrule back in place.
i couldnt find anything either im gonna shim the bastard and be done with it

Latest posts

Back