French dragoon help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon87772

Reaction score
With the shortage in 1:20 twist for custom kits for Kentucky pistols I have been looking at the dragoons in 62 cal, 15" smooth bores.

Anyone have one? How accurate are the smooth bores with patched balls for hunting?

I've spent a few years shooting bullseye pistol, I am not shooting cleaning every target, but I have cleaned a few. I am firm in my confidence to make a good shot and I am also been known to make a few shots that make me look like an amature.

I would like to build a flint 50 cal or larger so I can pistol hunt in late season flintlock where I live.

I am not a fan of the trapper traditions pistols.

I've spent a few years shooting bullseye pistol, I am not shooting cleaning every target, but I have cleaned a few. I am firm in my confidence to make a good shot and I am also been known to make a few shots that make me look like an amature.

I would like to build a flint 50 cal or larger so I can pistol hunt in late season flintlock where I live.

Not as many large caliber flintlock hunting types seem to be available for sale as caplock besides higher end custom and Trapper types. You could convert a caplock with a drum to flintlock. If has a Siler, Davis or L& R its a easy conversion. T. O.W. tech guys are nice for over the phone help.

So since muzzleloaders arent subject to the NFA why not start with a rifle kit and either cut down and reshape stock or inlet a new one or even just any available lock/sideplate/trigger group?

Only tricky part I can think of is the wedge location but if you are centemplating a rebarrel that would need to be accounted for anyway

I have that pistol if it’s the one that MBS sells in kit form.
It’s pretty accurate up to about 15 yards, (I use an .595 patched round ball) and well balanced. I use mine with #5 shot for squirrel hunting also.

Attachments

• D7BD7FB1-94FF-4932-97E5-88840BD5C18F.jpeg
    D7BD7FB1-94FF-4932-97E5-88840BD5C18F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BBB37F44-7BDB-4BF3-A83C-CC6F4DAEAE6B.jpeg
    BBB37F44-7BDB-4BF3-A83C-CC6F4DAEAE6B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back