Fresh Polish Sausage.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make venison breakfast sausage every time we get a deer but I’ve always left it bulk. I wanted to give cased sausage a try so I made up 10 lbs of fresh Polish sausage. I’ll do a few things differently the next time but it came out really good. I had trouble tying it off and making it into rings, I probably should have done it as I went along rather than making one big long sausage first.
I’ll be making a larger batch soon and I’ll try lightly smoking part of it.

CAA076CE-FF94-4FCF-88C3-F2445D177C80.jpeg

Fresh casings or collagen? If you're using fresh hog gut casings you can generally pinch and twist once you have the long link done to make smaller links the size you want them. Collagen doesn't really allow for that as it will not stay twisted or will split when you try to twist the links.

Looks darned good though.

Hog casings, they were packed in salt and refrigerated. If you twist them and cut them will they stay closed? I wound up squeezing the sausage out of an inch or so and tying them with cotton string.

Hog casing stay twisted pretty good. I use hog casings for my bratwurst and sheep for my breakfast inks and both will twist and stay well when snipped to separate the links. The only thing I tie is my summer sausage, my ring bologna and my sandwich pepperoni in 3" casings. Everything else goes into hog casings and gets twisted and cut.

Latest posts

Back