Full freezer for me this year

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I got back this weekend from my annual hunting vacation in SE Ohio. Got to spend 2 weeks home hunting and visiting with the folks and family. 8) :D Last year I got skunked, first in a long time. This year I connected on 2 doe using 2 different rifles, and the freezer is now full. 8) I like Horns too but consider myself more of a meat hunter, Freezer meat comes first before horn. :wink: Ohio's deer season had some crazy weather with lots of cold temp (21*- 28* most mornings, but that darned wind sure made it feel lower), wind, some rain and mixed with sleet or snow. No real accumulation but that wind had the deer not moving good. First Day I had 4 doe go past my Shack at a good trot, probably got bumped out of the neighbors property, and could not get them to stop close. They finally stopped on the opposite side of the bottom I was watching. One of them made the mistake of giving me a broadside, standing still, very slight quarter away shot at 183 yards. The Doe on the right in the pic below was the one that I took. The Rifle I used on it was a New Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster using handloaded 265 FTX bullets. The Shot blew up the right lung and the upper half of the heart the left lung got a bit of a hit and the bullet exited the opposite side never to be seen again. She only made about 4 good leaps and was done.

ZSHQtZp.jpg

The Doe on the left was a smaller doe and I took her at 168 yards with my Knight KRB7. I have only hunted with this rifle one time and never connected with it. I did some work with this rifle earlier this year. I came up with my own designed Breech plug that was based on the mods Me and Hornet22Savage did several years ago. I took that a bit farther and added a ventliner, small powder recess and a different o-ring. My Cousin set it up and turned me out a few on his CNC machine using 17-4PH stainless steel. So far the plug is working perfect so I wanted to use it this year in the cold. Temp this day was 25* and the load was 84 grainsW/120gnV or BH209, under a Lehigh .452dia 265gn CF in an MMP HPH24 sabot and that was ignited by a Rem STS 209 Primer. Ignition was instant and primer was clean as could be. Shot was a tiny bit low but the Lehigh CF did its work. The Base punched all the way though and the pedals tore up both lungs and punched a hole in the heart. She dropped about 30 yards from the hit and was blowing blood from Nose and mouth, none of the bullet was found in any of the meat, I butcher my own so would have found them.

All in all a pretty good season and will be eating good till next season. :D

Way to go Shawn! Meat in the freezer yeah!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the success Shawn. You've got some high quality meat there! The deer were laying down in Harrison Co. as well. Weather on opening day in Ohio was lousy for sure. Drizzle all morning. I didn't dare take my scope cover off till 11am. Everything got wet. Finally got lucky just before noon and happy to say my Omega went boom. Dropped a nice doe at 95yds.

Again, congratulations.

Thanks Guys, Full Freezer makes me happy happy happy! :D

Dragonfly,
My family's farm is south of you down in Gallia County. Wind was the worst part for me but I do have 3 home built wood blinds, we call them Deer shacks. :lol: The older I get the more I like them in the poor weather. 35 years as a Service Tech has been hard on the body so they make sitting all day much more comfortable. :wink: Last couple years it was much more warm than I like. So the cold was better for "hanging" them a bit longer.

Nice going Shawn.. so far this is the worst year I've ever had and Ive missed more deer this year then I had in the previous 30 yrs.. Ive missed 3 does in a row, hit a limb twice and shot over a big does head standing facing me at 90 yds offhand, forgot gun was zeroed 2.5 in high at 100 might of parted her hair but no blood :D
Luckily still have 3 weeks to hunt.

Thanks Dean.

Sorry to here the bad luck there Dean. Shake that monkey off and git er done! :lol: We only get a 7 day gun season with a bonus weekend later but I have to get back to NY before that bonus weekend.

The First time I hunted Deer with this KRB7 I tried to use the Max Point Blank Range scope sight in some like. I know it works, but I am so used to holding off that I don't really think about it and just do it. That caused me to buzzed the hair off ones back with it. Don't know if I ever saw that doe in the county again! :lol: Took the rifle to the house and cleaned and put it away and went out with My old MK-95 and knocked one down that afternoon.

I need to get my KRB out and play around with your breech plug, too many guns and definitely not enough time..
Everybody who sees the KRB really likes it hard to believe it wasn't more popular.

ShawnT said:
Thanks Dean.

Sorry to here the bad luck there Dean. Shake that monkey off and git er done! :lol: We only get a 7 day gun season with a bonus weekend later but I have to get back to NY before that bonus weekend.

The First time I hunted Deer with this KRB7 I tried to use the Max Point Blank Range scope sight in some like. I know it works, but I am so used to holding off that I don't really think about it and just do it. That caused me to buzzed the hair off ones back with it. Don't know if I ever saw that doe in the county again! :lol: Took the rifle to the house and cleaned and put it away and went out with My old MK-95 and knocked one down that afternoon.

Way to go!! I'm looking for two just like that for our late blackpowder season. If it happens great, if not that's OK too, meat in the freezer is really nice for the colder months ahead for sure.

Thanks guys. One larger and one small like these Doe's does me for my Red meat for the year since its just me. :yeah: Gonna be a rainy weekend here this weekend so I plan to make a pot of Chili from one of the larger packs of meat I ground up. :drool: I really like to make Chili from Venison since there is no fat to skim off! :yeah:

On a side note we had some crazy weather in Ohio this year and it got down to as low as 21* and up to about 34* for a few days with lots of wind. I was able to let the larger doe hang in that barn to drain and age for 3 full days and butchered it on the fourth. You could almost pull the meat apart! :yeah: :D

Just hearing the Mention of Venison Chili makes me Hungry! Good stuff :yeah:

I have made the Mistake here 2 different times of letting a Deer Hang and Freeze SOLID, I had to Bring them inside Both times so they could Thaw enough to Process, What a PAIN! And nobody’s fault but my Own! The month of November is Risky For a Deep Freeze, And it can happen overnight

Back in the early 90`s I killed 2 big bodied deer a doe and 4 point the same day in the last days of muzzleloader in Dec and right after the temps dropped into the teens and stayed that way for 3 weeks or a bit longer, those deer hung there hard as a brick all that time. Finally got warm enough to thaw them enough to get the hide off them but they were still so cold your hands wouldn't have any feeling after a few minutes handling them.. Meat was great except for some flank meat that was exposed to the air that dried out.

Idaholewis said:
Just hearing the Mention of Venison Chili makes me Hungry! Good stuff :yeah:

I have made the Mistake here 2 different times of letting a Deer Hang and Freeze SOLID, I had to Bring them inside Both times so they could Thaw enough to Process, What a PAIN! And nobody’s fault but my Own! The month of November is Risky For a Deep Freeze, And it can happen overnight

Yea Lewis it can be a pain to deal with one that froze solid, been there done that too. I stopped in the barn and checked it the morning before I had planned to butcher and it was starting to freeze but I knew the temps were supposed to get up in the upper 30's later and up to 40 before the next morning so was good. I got the second one that day about 12:30 and got it hung up. Next day I skinned the first and when I started de-boning the meat my hands hurt it was so cold but was not froze. :D Just put the meat in the cooler and took it to the house to work up. Even though it hurts the hands I like them that cold. Makes it easier to get the silver skin off. :wink:

nothing better then chili made with deer, I've eaten chili made with deer for so long when I eat regular chili with ground beef at some else's house it tastes all greasy to me.

ShawnT said:
Thanks guys. One larger and one small like these Doe's does me for my Red meat for the year since its just me. :yeah: Gonna be a rainy weekend here this weekend so I plan to make a pot of Chili from one of the larger packs of meat I ground up. :drool: I really like to make Chili from Venison since there is no fat to skim off! :yeah:

On a side note we had some crazy weather in Ohio this year and it got down to as low as 21* and up to about 34* for a few days with lots of wind. I was able to let the larger doe hang in that barn to drain and age for 3 full days and butchered it on the fourth. You could almost pull the meat apart! :yeah: :D

This is a funny short story, When i moved here to Idaho My Dad warned me about how easy the weather can suddenly Shift and Freeze solid, and if i killed a Deer in November to really pay attention and get it Cut up as quick as i could. I believe It was my 2nd year when i let 1 Freeze by accident? Anyway, my Dad had killed a Nice buck as well, his Froze the Same night mine did (A sudden Cold Snap) At the Time i was Renting a Big 2,000+ Square foot home, I covered my kitchen table with a Tarp and brought my Deer in the house to Thaw, My Folks live in a New Single Wide Mobile Home, Dad didn’t have any Spare room to speak of in their Small house So he wrapped his Frozen (Skinned) Deer up in a Tarp and put it in his Bedroom :lol: That thing took 2 Days to Thaw enough that he Could manage Getting it cut up, and it was stil Partly Froze! I stil laugh when I think about him sleeping with a Fozen Deer wrapped in a Tarp in his Bedroom Floor for 2 nights :lol: That says alot for how Warm his Bedroom Stays :lol: :lol: That hasn’t happened again since, He and i Take great Care in making DARN sure that Situation doesn’t Repeat itself

Frozen deer are definitely harder to deal with but you don’t have the worry of them souring before processing. I’ll take it cold over hot, just for piece of mind.

Idaholewis said:
This is a funny short story, When i moved here to Idaho My Dad warned me about how easy the weather can suddenly Shift and Freeze solid, and if i killed a Deer in November to really pay attention and get it Cut up as quick as i could. I believe It was my 2nd year when i let 1 Freeze by accident? Anyway, my Dad had killed a Nice buck as well, his Froze the Same night mine did (A sudden Cold Snap) At the Time i was Renting a Big 2,000+ Square foot home, I covered my kitchen table with a Tarp and brought my Deer in the house to Thaw, My Folks live in a New Single Wide Mobile Home, Dad didn’t have any Spare room to speak of in their Small house So he wrapped his Frozen (Skinned) Deer up in a Tarp and put it in his Bedroom :lol: That thing took 2 Days to Thaw enough that he Could manage Getting it cut up, and it was stil Partly Froze! I stil laugh when I think about him sleeping with a Fozen Deer wrapped in a Tarp in his Bedroom Floor for 2 nights :lol: That says alot for how Warm his Bedroom Stays :lol: :lol: That hasn’t happened again since, He and i Take great Care in making DARN sure that Situation doesn’t Repeat itself
Sounds like a "Northern Redneck" move to me! :lol: :lol:

herschel conyers said:
Frozen deer are definitely harder to deal with but you don’t have the worry of them souring before processing. I’ll take it cold over hot, just for piece of mind.

I totally agree. I hate to get one and it is just too warm to let it hang and have to work it up right away. In those cases I usually de-bone and put it in the fridge at least over night. Mom on the other hand don't like that too much! :lol: The last few years the hunting seasons have been much warmer than I like. We have been keeping an eye out for a good used (inexpensive :wink: ) large commercial fridge for such purposes. This year when my feet was getting cold on stand I just kept thinking how good it was for hanging.

Back