Full Size Nitro Cards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
From the beginning i have felt these Nitro Cards were to darn thick? If you notice on all of my targets i am at least splitting these in 1/2, And more so in 3 ways, So with 1 full Nitro Card i am getting 2-3 OP Wads. I have shot some AWESOME Groups with these Cards! This morning i decided to test these FULL size Nitro Card Wads against my 1/8” Wool. This is a Proven Load in my Stainless .50 Cal GM LRH

My New 100 Yard Range
zUM3uiQ.jpg

This Target had potential but i blew the 3rd shot, My first 2 shots felt PERFECT and they were very close together, my 3rd shot felt HORRIBLE, i knew it was wrong when i pulled the trigger, And sure enough it was way Low. I walked up and Marked the 3 Wool shots.
fPut3IF.jpg

And here are the Full size Nitro Card Shots on the same taget. My hunch from the beginning with these things were right, They don’t shoot worth a darn Whole!! At least not for me, your Mileage may Vary? I will never mess these things again Whole, i will be Splitting them at least in 1/2, But more than likely 3 ways. There is a Reason most of the Top level shooters swear by the .060 Vege fibre or Poly, and if you only have .030s they say to use 2 of them. If these Nitro Cards at .130 were the ticket they would be using them
EuFFGv9.jpg

Lewis,

Was that using the wool I sent you, or did you find something different... did you ever test the thinner wool against the thick?

TheMoose

themoose said:
Lewis,

Was that using the wool I sent you, or did you find something different... did you ever test the thinner wool against the thick?

TheMoose

themoose, Glad to see you post! I haven’t seen you in awhile? These Wool were some of my last of the Store bought 1/8” Oxyoke brand stuff, they have always performed well. My 3rd Wool shot above was totally my Fault, i knew i had screwed up when i pulled the Trigger. But them darn Full size Nitro Cards were a BUST for me. On the contrary they work EXCELLENT when you split them down (which is super easy to do)

I have a bunch of Wads punched out from the Wool you sent me, i will be trying some of it in the next few days, i was trying to get through the last of these store bought ones first. I have 110% Confidence in this Stuff you sent me, this stuff looks awesome!! I will test it in the next few days in my 1:30 Twist .45 Cal with a few proven loads, I will try both Dry unlubed, and Some lightly lubed, see if i can tell a difference? Will post my results. I say again, if i could only choose 1 type of OP Wad it would DEFINITELY be Wool. I have shot some amazing Groups with the Hard Card Wads, but I feel Wool is a better all around way to go :yeah:

Wife's health and keeping everything else going has kept me busy... She's been in hospital twice in the last two months... I haven't got around to casting or working up loads for the .54 cal Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken that I bought three months ago... She just had surgery and is home recuperating... may get a chance to do some casting and when her health improves get some range time in... the.54 has a 1:66 twist and I have round ball molds for .530 and .535... I also got a .54 REAL mold.. think it may be 320 grs..(not sure as I haven't tried it out yet...)

themoose said:
Wife's health and keeping everything else going has kept me busy... She's been in hospital twice in the last two months... I haven't got around to casting or working up loads for the .54 cal Pedersoli Rocky Mtn Hawken that I bought three months ago... She just had surgery and is home recuperating... may get a chance to do some casting and when her health improves get some range time in... the.54 has a 1:66 twist and I have round ball molds for .530 and .535... I also got a .54 REAL mold.. think it may be 320 grs..(not sure as I haven't tried it out yet...)

Sorry to hear of your wife’s health problems, i hope she is on the mend!

I remember you buying the Pedersoli RMH, I was hoping to hear some good Range Report news on it! I have had a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken on my wish/want list for a long time, Truth is I have more Sidelock Muzzleloaders now than I can keep up with! But If i were to buy another brand new Factory production fast twist Sidelock it would be a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken in .50 Caliber. I have had really good luck with my Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 Cal, This rifle flat out shoots! Fit n Finish was a bit disappointing for a brand new rifle, But I have Customized it a bit and learned to like it :yeah:

Cast up some of them R.E.A.L.s and see how they shoot? I am curious how they will do in the 1:66 twist? That’s a fairly short bullet for .54 Cal, they should shoot just fine?

Anyway, Just a Heads Up to you guy’s on these Full size Nitro Cards, I am not saying they Don’t work in every situation, like i stated above, they have worked GREAT for me when i split them in 3 ways, But i personally feel they are to Thick whole? Your Mileage may vary? If you try these Whole and your Groups are not anything Great, split them at least in Half, and in my opinion better yet is to split them 3 ways, Then Re test a Group

Latest posts

Back