Fun Opening Weekend in S IL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is tradition for me to go down to my in-laws to hunt the opening of gun season in IL on their farm in Perry County. According to them, this was the coldest opening weekend they can remember. Highs in the 30's was great, but a couple of windy days. I was able to cash in opening morning around 10:30 with my new smokeless build. I originally set up on the ground in one location, but moved about 50 yards to get out of the wind a bit and stumbled upon a buck bed. Tons of rubs all around the area so I figured I would give it a shot. Over the hill he comes around 10:30- he clears the brush and am able to drop him on the spot with a shoulder shot at 30 yards. Some major overkill with this buck-the gun was designed for long distance shots, but it certainly can handle close range as well. I was using 72grns of H4198 and a 300gr Fury bonded black tip. I was happy that he dropped in his tracks, but at that distance I expected the bullet to pass through. It absolutely blew apart his shoulder, driving bone into the heart and lungs. I saw the indentation of the bullet on the opposite wall of the rib cage, but no exit. I could not find the bullet, but then I didn't really go through the gut file with a fine tooth comb either. Anyway, dead deer and no tracking job. At that point, my buck tag was used up so the remainder of the weekend I spent with my side lock trying to get a doe in range. And wouldn't you know it....a monster comes within 50 yards of me Sunday morning at sunup and I can't shoot him. This turned out not to be such a bad thing, since about 15 minutes later when a doe walked through the same shooting lane, my cap fired, but didn't set off the powder charge. I had forgotten to blow out the gunk in the fire channel from the day before when I shot a coyote and ran some patches down it. I have to be careful with that gun when running patches because it is very easy to plug up the fire channel. Anyway, the doe heard the pop of the cap and trotted off before I could get a shot at her with my pistol. Many big bucks were taken down there in the area, making my broken tine 10pt look miniscule in comparison. Either way, the rut was still in high gear down there, with some great hunting temps. Was a great opening weekend.

Attachments

• 10pt S IL 11-18-22.jpg
    10pt S IL 11-18-22.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1
Nice buck. I hunted Woodford, coldest first season in the 28 years I’ve deer hunted.

Latest posts

Back