Fury 250 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much the same thing happened with the 275gr bullet but the 225gr 40cal performed perfectly.

Pretty much the same thing happened with the 275gr bullet but the 225gr 40cal performed perfectly.

Yea, it did HORRIBLE as well. NO WAY I would advise these as a Hunting Bullet!!

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/fury-275g-bonded-bullet.31839/

80 Grains of Blackhorn
tq1L0jG.jpg

To be fair, Dennis got into making ML bullets for SMLs. Guys were shooting them far faster than 80grVorW of BH209. Until he came along you were stuck shooting SST/Barnes or paying $2 a pop for bullets. He gave the guys on Dougs/Hankins boards exactly what they wanted for half the price or less.

To be fair, Dennis got into making ML bullets for SMLs. Guys were shooting them far faster than 80grVorW of BH209. Until he came along you were stuck shooting SST/Barnes or paying $2 a pop for bullets. He gave the guys on Dougs/Hankins boards exactly what they wanted for half the price or less.

If they shoot good that’s all that matters for Target Work :lewis: After seeing these Couple of Tests I just wouldn’t advise them as a Hunting Bullet, they Can’t Open up at 25 Yards with 80 Grains of BH209 they aren’t a Good Option for Typical Muzzleloader Velocities

Ron, maybe you could try one of those ST2's some day???

Been pondering how. This 250 was shot in a 50 caliber Omega, in a sabot. Thinking was the bullet wouldn't obturate in the 45 using only 80 grain powder. Any thoughts? Also, the 3/8" plywood seems to be too much for these bullets.

I sent those photos off to Dennis THIS MORNING and we PM'd back and forth. He actually was putting things together to test bullets this morning, so I caught him at the right time.

Here's his response back after he tested the 250gr star tip I received at 11:28am TODAY, along with photos of the bullets:

"I shot these into ballistic gel this morning. Distance was 50 yards with 80 grains of BH209. Was 250 gr star tip. 24 inches of gel then i use a archery target stuffed with rags to capture. This is the criteria i use when making and testing the bullets. Gel is an accepted industry and governmental test medium . Which results in more consistant and reliable results as to how a bullet will react in flesh. Thanks d"

250gr with 80grs BH at 50yds 1.jpg

250gr with 80grs BH at 50yds 2.jpg

250gr with 80grs BH at 50yds 3.jpg

Been pondering how. This 250 was shot in a 50 caliber Omega, in a sabot. Thinking was the bullet wouldn't obturate in the 45 using only 80 grain powder. Any thoughts? Also, the 3/8" plywood seems to be too much for these bullets.
Size them and shoot them in your 45 ???

Well that is interesting for sure. Maybe with another 20-30gr it would do well, but again... what about at 100yd or more even if it did. Makes you go hmmm

Thanks for the report Ron, way too many bullets that perform great to take a chance on one that may not, imho.

Of the five smokeless rigs I have ,4-20 twist 1-18 twist,3 CVA Accura, and several CVA Accura I've given to family,if I had to choose one bullet that shot consistently in all these rifles even the one in 28 twist CVa it would be the 250 star tip,actually it would be my take to the desert island bullet if I could just choose one bullet so far of all of my muzzleloading experience,, I know it's not as pretty as some of those Pittman and Parker bullets. For now my favorite bullet,I know it doesn't have the bc to get out past two or three hundred yards but practically speaking most of my deer are shot much closer than that, for the dollar spent it's the best for me

I shoot these 250 star tips out of a cva smokeless conversion with a wool wad and straight down a 45 cal barrel. they shoot excellent. most guys use them out of smokeless guns. remember some solid copper barnes etc will punch a hole without opening if it hits something hard. fury makes some excellent bullets, they have a 265 gr yellow ball tipped 45 cal bullet called the STB and it has a thinner jacket and was made for the new CVA gun and measures .453 , those could be sized and used in a smoker and pretty sure they would be very well suited for blackhorn speeds. I have seen pics of mule deer with their whole shoulder blown away on the exit side from the fury star tip 275 and 300 bullets out of a smokeless gun at 200 yds.

Back