Fury 40 cal 250 grain bullet performance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-20 45 will stabilize the Fury 250gr just fine. They are nowhere near as long as the Pittman 250s (1.34").

When i asked him he said the 250gr was .992?" long without the tip. Calculators say a 1-22 is enough. Ask him on FB what the new 240gr and the 250gr with the plastic tip run.

jims I see the 28twist question and I don't know how but I know a gent shooting (land rider) 45cal 300gr Aeromax out of a 28twist Bartlein barrel with every bit the precision of a 18-20twist and has shot it out to 1000yds. Again I don't understand how he gets that slow a twist to stabilize that bullet but I have seen him shoot that rifle a few times.

I do not know if it is a gain twist or not but that would surely explain a little. He has experimented with as slow as 34twist what I understood from a conversation. I may contact him and get that info.

jims I see the 28twist question and I don't know how but I know a gent shooting (land rider) 45cal 300gr Aeromax out of a 28twist Bartlein barrel with every bit the precision of a 18-20twist and has shot it out to 1000yds. Again I don't understand how he gets that slow a twist to stabilize that bullet but I have seen him shoot that rifle a few times.
It's stabilized because it's a 45 not a 40. The weight doesn't matter just the length.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will just have to try it.

Years ago I had a sako 243, it shot every size bullet that I put in it , 55 ,60 grain up to the 100 grain deer hunting loads, it shot every bullet I ever put in it hand load or factory less than a half inch,, sometimes barrels just have a mind of their own I'm sure others have experienced that,, but back to the topic if I were trying to build a 45 Cal fast twist to shoot the heaviest 40 cal bullet I could I'm leaning much more towards 14 15 16 twists then I am the 18th or 20s,, my experience has been fast twist is much more forgiving of lighter bullets ,, if I build a 45 Cal with a 14 or 16 twist it should not have any problems shooting 300 to 350 grain bore riders, as well as the 250 to 300 gr,, I don't shoot heavy lead but I would think it would handle heavy lead well too,, I have 18 and 20 twist guns multiple,, and I'm shooting a 14 twist 45 Cal barrel with 250 furys, and the 240 fury,, I'm getting more consistent groups hardly ever a flyer, I've only been shooting Black Horn not smokeless, again I'm still learning and experimenting,, I'm only limited now by short sabot, I hope eventually there is a taller wall sabot being made to shoot the 275s and 300 grain 40 s in a 45 Cal barrel.

I checked about the 28twist and it is not a gain twist but a cut rifled barrel.

Latest posts

Back