Fury Bullet -- UltraLight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.........Ron, would you like to try some polywads? They fit very tight in the bore. They are also very cheap at Buffalo Arms if you end up liking them.

Yes, they certainly do fit very tight in the bore. Seemed to help accuracy. Have 1993 left, after shooting this morning. Am looking forward to shooting more/all of them

Thank you for the excellent suggestion Scott!

Please keep us updated on any issues you encounter with the polywads. They are made for real black so i had minor concerns about the hotter temp of BH209. When they are loaded in the bore you can see they seal really really well if you just short start them. Much better than a sabot base or sub base. They look like they would be water tight. :D

On a side note i have some Speer 260gr .451 JHPs on the way. Might be here Friday or Monday at the latest. These are the new UniCore style version of that bullet. I would like to send you some after they arrive. I think these might be a better option vs the Speer 250gr and they are very cheap.

This morning made it out early, and beat the wind. Was able to shoot seven shots at 202 yard. Temperature was 38°; smoke from shooting hung in the still air. Powder load was increased from the OP to 120 grain Blackhorn. The primers appear to be leaking through with this load; may need to reduce it some.

First shot from the dirty barrel/breech plug was some high; following shots kinda snuggled together.

Holes are ragged; the backer should be replaced it seems.

IMG_4425.JPG

The primers May be leaking through some but 7 shots at 200 looks pretty darn good if you ask me. Nice shooting.

I wonder how the poly wads would hold up to smokeless? Seems like probably not very well.

From the sessions i had with my older DISC 45, most sabotless groups tightened up around 110gr by volume. I dont think i even tried with my Pacnor because the goal was different and i knew it can handle much hotter loads safely. I went straight to near max and beyond max data.

Hey Ron, that’s some GOOD SHOOTING. Quite an improvement. Question on the poly wad thickness, .030 or .060? Thanks.

Poly wads Ordered. Thanks

Last edited:
Them Speer 260s showed up today Ron. They will not start in my bore straight from the package but i didnt try too hard either. Pretty sure they wont without sizing.

How many would you like to try.....20?
dw0wbsA.jpg

Your just going to have to give in and buy an adjustable sizing die. I’m still amazed at the precision of the fit bullet to bore.

Im lucky so far with this bore. A cheap Lee .451 sizer has worked with a couple bullets. A Swinglock is on the list though. Just need to figure out what i want to sell next to pay for it.

I measured them boolits. Slightly over .452 is what i got. Speer says they are .451. 1 pass through my sizer is .451+ so its gunna need a couple passes. Oh well it still looks good for a cheap bullet.

This morning it was 34° when shooting commenced. The good thing --- the breeze was light. Bad thing --- it was inconsistent.

Powder charge was reduced to 115 grain Blackhorn down from 120 grain previous shooting. This was done because the primers showed some leakage through.

Breech plug was changed from Knight plug to Lehigh plug. The primer seal was made in the Knight plug by using an o-ring. Primer seal in the Lehigh plug was done using 0.013" of shim.

Vent liner was changed to Lehigh vent liner from home made vent liner.

Primer was changed from Federal 209A to Winchester W209; the W209 fit the Lehigh plug better.

Shooting began from a clean cold barrel. Loading and shooting was done without swabbing. Loading and shooting was done without waiting between shots; without hurrying. Ten shots made at the lower target.

It was quite nice that the first shot, was not wild high. It was nice the first shot, and last shot landed 1½" center to center.

This combination would be taken hunting, if season began tomorrow morning.

This probably concludes shooting the 250g Fury Star Tip at paper, until October. Alas the scope will need to be switched to the 1X.

IMG_4426.JPG

Latest posts

Back