FX Pro Hunter Breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I don’t have much experience with the Encore line and especially the FX.
Just acquired an FX in a collection purchase.
Online searching from TC showed the primer tool used for inserting & removing 209 primers.
I range tested it and found primers were not easily removed with fingers alone.
Remingtons STS … nope. Nope gas leak.
Cheddites much better. Size difference of course. Hard to get out though.
Will be pin gauging the bp.
Prior to shooting breech plug maintenance was performed.

Is this a norm for the FX primer , being difficult. Need the primer tool?

Should anyone have an old FX bp , I’d like to purchase .
Would plan on installing a vent liner and mill for a vari flame. Anyone try this? If so results.

I dont think there is enough meat in the plug to do a vent liner mod. It has a deep recess like an Omega plug and you will lose too much flash channel volume. It MIGHT work with a LRMP conversion but it would be rough on 209s.

Better buy another plug soon. I think OpticPlanet might still have some but they are like $46.

Would plan on installing a vent liner and mill for a vari flame. Anyone try this? If so results.
If you modified the plug to use a vari flame adapter, you wouldn't need to use a vent liner. Reason being is rifle primers do not erode the flash hole hardly at all, unlike shotgun primers. The flash hole in a modified breech plug has over 700 shots through using rifle primers, and the flash hole is the exact same size now it was when the shooting started.

Because the flash hole doesn't grow when shooting rifle primers, it is made 0.034" right away with a drill, to allow more heat to the powder. Powder ignition is perfect even in sub-zero weather.

Thanks GM & Ron for the good info.
Ron , any gas leak with the vari flame mod?….
oops, I just saw your CVA with o rings.
I did the same mod a couple of years ago to a CVA bp and came to the same conclusion about the o rings.

Latest posts

Back