G series Whitetail .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some days my eyes work better than others and somedays I see things that have always been there.
My "G" series Whitetail .451 # WS 2531 looks like the barrel is sleeved. Is this the way they all are?

It could be the crown. Unlike any that I have seen.

Attachments

• DSC07654.JPG
    DSC07654.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC07653.JPG
    DSC07653.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC07652.JPG
    DSC07652.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 14
I have a very similar crown on my re barreled 243 win. I believe my barrel is a Douglas. My inside crown closest to the bore is a little deeper so the step is a bit more pronounced. My thought was the inside crown is further protected by the outside crown. I like mine and it shoots very accurate. I don't think you have any kind of a "sleeve"

When you enlarge the pic, the texture is different, and I see no turning marks, except the inter one. It is what it is.

Attachments

• DSC07651 (2).JPG
    DSC07651 (2).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 9
I doubt it’s sleeved. I doubt a barrel maker would spend the time and money to sleeve a barrel that got screwed up. More than likely they would just drill it up to the next caliber or scrap it. I have a couple crowned this way.

Thank You.
I just thought it was strange when I took a good look.
Going to make it my deer getter next season. And send to new homes/thin out the herd some of the other MLs. I hope it is capable of dropping deer in their tracks like the 504s with the heavier bullets.

We probaby dont see them more often because I have to believe that cutting a stepped crown takes more time and money than a conventional crown. My guess anyway. Im betting it shoots great once you find "the load".

Looks like a typical Wilson barrel.
Your .451 will absolutely kill just as quick as any .504 cal. I use 488gr. Bullshop conicals in mine. The avatar 8 point was DRT from that bullet.

My one grandson has a 451 Whitetail with a Wilson bbl like yours and has no problems with accuracy. In fact, his load of weighed 70gr of Swiss 2F and my Lyman Gould HP bullet harvested a nice fat 7 pointer this year at about 80 plus yards.

Some days my eyes work better than others and somedays I see things that have always been there.
My "G" series Whitetail .451 # WS 2531 looks like the barrel is sleeved. Is this the way they all are?
No sleeve just the crown

I appreciate the input. I believe I do not have a problem/situation that someone hasn't had numerous times before and solved. The trick is to find them. But it is so easy now with the net.

Terrible getting old. What is the twist on this rifle and what's the bullet it might like best. My other two Whites .504s both like 435 Power Star sabots and bigger solid lead.

Latest posts

Back