Garage Sale Finds (by accident)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnull2305

Reaction score
Hello, you Mayhem-Making, Muzzleloading Miscreants!!

So, I was killing some time in Southern Ohio, waiting for my buddy to meet me at our hunting grounds to do some maintenance. He's always late - and there's always an excuse (like, "oh, there was a rollover crash on the way down and the Troopers had the road closed, and blah, blah, blah... dismembered bodies, blah, blah...").

I saw some folks having a garage sale out in the middle a' nowhere, and decided to stop in. I found a box labeled, "reloading.". Opened it and found various and sundry tools, dies, bullets, and other menutia. I decided to make an offer because there was quite a bit of stuff either I or a friend could use. As I'm hemming and hawing, Andy (Cap'n Always-Late) calls wondering where I am. I tell him and go to leave.
The apparent lady of the house stops me and says, "There's two other boxes of reloading stuff. Make me an off on the lot."

I real quick-like peruse the contents of both - lots'a powder and more (meltable) lead projectiles, presses, powder throwers, all that. I offer $50, and she doesn't even argue. "It's yours.". I settle up an go.

Andrew and I worked all day. I get home late in the pm, and start really pouring through the boxes. Then the feeling hits - "Jim, you're a bastard."

Among all the stuff (and no making fun of my duct taped Oriental rug)

IMG_20200713_193327783~2.jpg

I make three awesome finds:

IMG_20200713_193316010~2.jpgIMG_20200713_193236566~2.jpgIMG_20200713_193107789~2.jpg

Hooray for garage sales,!!!

That vise is a keeper for certain and likely worth twice what you paid.

You make me sick! LOL All I can ever find is baby clothes...
I know... I make myself sick. In my defense, however, this is the first time I have ever got anything at a garage/yard sale that was really worth a $#!t. All because Andrew was late....

That vise is a keeper for certain and likely worth twice what you paid.

I have been looking for an original Versa-Vise for years!!! I have a new knock-off from another company in Ohio, Jon-Mar Gear in Canal Fulton, but they kinda side-step the 'Made in' question. "Assembled in Ohio," and some of the parts are "Machined" in house to maintain optimum quality and cost. "...while other pieces are imported from all over the globe." Apparently, Jon-Mar Gear got the plans from the original in 2006. It is a close match, but doesn't seem as tough.

Those RCBS 10/10 Scales are Worth more than you paid for everything. Those are a HIGH Quality Beam Scale, I have had mine for Many years and love em :lewis:
You know, Lew, I knew the 10-10 was a good scale. I just didn't know *how* good: I was fooling around with it last night. I noticed that when zero'd out, the beam would indicate even the slightest change in weight. Like, I added one (1) seed of IMR 4064 to the plate, and the line moved - actually registered the single seed of extruded powder. That's some real sensitivity!

The Model B Thumler's Tumbler likely needs a new drive belt, but it's very serviceable. I ran it for a few hours last night, and, aside from needing a little assistance in getting the drum rolling, it runs well. I think a new belt will fix that.

Those RCBS 1010 scales in crappy used condition on E-bay start at $125.00.

In like new condition, I've seen asking prices of $250.00.

They are the premium analog scale of choice, after the Ohaus Dial-O-Grain, triple beam scale.

In like new condition, I've seen asking prices of $250.00.

This ones in really good Nick!! There's a little fading on the "tenths" barrel, but that's about it.

Be happy I didn't find a lathe. I would'a been PMing the hell out of you and Stacey to tell me how to use it!!

Attach56455_20200714_202357.gif

Those barrels or thumb screws are hard to read sometimes on the 10/10 scale!

I have an old 5-10 RCBS scale that has weighed Lb's upon Lb's of powder and I will never part with. It has never been dropped in 40+ Yrs. and trust it over my electronic RCBS.
2305 you hit the pay dirt with those goodies

Just two up from you: Ross County. I think I read that ODNR reported that the only county in OH with any feral hogs at all is Scioto. Did I remember that correctly?
Not sure. Never heard about any feral hogs close to where we hunt. I do remember hearing years back that there where hogs in certain places in Ohio. I would love to see one while on stand with a bow or smokepole.

When I was a kid my grandfather took me down to the butcher shop to look @ a feral hog that had been killed by a local farmer. It hung from the ceiling to the floor of the shop. it was all scared up from being shot over the years with 22's and shot guns. I'm sure the hams had lead shot in them. The thing was huge and had to have been a bore It was the size of a championship bore you would see at the state fair I don't know about it's weight
It was killed in the Wabash river bottom upstream from Logansport Indiana.

Back