garden planting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I am no gardener, that being said the little woman wants a small garden patch this year to grow some peppers,geen beans, lettuce, radish, onions and tomatoes. I was wondering when the best time to plant would be. Patrick we are pretty close to being in that same weather area, and I was wondering when you would recommend to plant this garden, also if you have any other advice on this project I would appreciate it.

Some things you can plant earlier than others. What you listed though needs planted after the last frost. The green beans I'm not sure of though. http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/ I usually plan in May if I can get the garden tilled up by then. Not having my own tiller hurts (something I need to get now that we have our own house). I've got a little 2 stroke tiller/cultivator I use to go in between rows (to keep weeds down) but no good tiller.

Make sure to get a good hoe and run a string to keep your rows straight. The first year for a garden is always the worst because of the grass. Also, make sure to have the utilities mark your property before you have it tilled. You don't want to till up anything important. :wink: You should find someone with a tractor tiller to do it the first time. It is very hard to get the ground broke the first time because of the grass. Don't get a farmer to do it with regular farming implements! It's not pretty. Angie had her dad do ours this year and It's gonna be a pain to even it up. We've still got to go back over it though.

Other than that, most of it you'll learn pretty quick. I don't know how your wife is but have her help you with it since it's her idea. Mine doesn't help much in the garden, although she does do the canning. Fair distribution of labor I guess. :lol:

Thanks for the info Patrick, I don't plan on doing a big garden at all, just a small patch. The ground here is pretty sandy so I think I can till it up with a tiller. After initial planting though she is on her own, 'cause I got fish to catch! :lol:

Dwight:

My last frost date is 5-27. Around here the farmers want to have their crops in the ground by Mother's day. You should be able to bump that up a week or so. You could push it even earlier if you get a floating row crop cover like Remay cloth. That protects plants down to 28*. For tomatoes, get a couple "wall of water"'s. They will allow you to plant about 3 weeks earlier than normal. The red ones seem to work better than the clear ones.

Kill the patch with Round-up or equivalent first or you'll really be fighting the grass! You will also probably need to fence it off from your pup too.

Blue-Dot-37.5

For best results:

#1) Take samples of the area you want to plant to your local co-op. They will test your soil and tell you what you need to add to get the best results. You indicated a lot of "sand", sand is not really good, if that's all you have? Going to have to add some organic material.....cow(1 year old) is good....same with pigs crap.

#2) Add organic material.......did I say that already? Fertilizers are good, but you need organics also!

#3) Keep the poisons to a minimum......your plants will suck all that stuff up too! Introduce some natural bugs.....lady bugs are good for controlling small bugs. Worms....nightcrawlers, earthworms are super great for dirt!

#4) Have fun! Gardening is also a way to get rid of that controlling boss you have at work! Have fun!

Scott B

Latest posts

Back