Gas Check bullet????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Bought the unused mold below for $25.00. Going to try shooting it in 1/28 barrel and maybe a 1/48.
Not going to use a gas check so my question is will the wad really protect the base???? With a void around the base Im thinking upon ignition the wad will shear and get jammed down along side of the bullet base and leave the "heel" of the base exposed to damage??? Maybe need a filler like cornmeal?????

MOLD DC C501-440-RF

MOLD DC C501-440-RF

Yes, 50 caliber.
Thanks HC, Never thought about that.

Additional Question
They claim nearly a .3 ballistic coefficient. I'm thinking closer to .2. Maybe not even that good.
Any thoughts on that???

I don’t have a ballistic calculator, so I would be guessing 2 or better, depending on velocity.

Bought the unused mold below for $25.00. Going to try shooting it in 1/28 barrel and maybe a 1/48.
Not going to use a gas check so my question is will the wad really protect the base???? With a void around the base Im thinking upon ignition the wad will shear and get jammed down along side of the bullet base and leave the "heel" of the base exposed to damage??? Maybe need a filler like cornmeal?????

MOLD DC C501-440-RF

MOLD DC C501-440-RF
Lubricated 54 cal felt wad 1/4 "

I've been using the Lee 500S&W bullet for over a dozen years. I started using over size wool wads .62 at the same time. I use that bullet paper patched. Over the years the Lee bullet has proven its self as an accurate game hammer. The bullet in the picture was the one i used last year to beat down my elk. It lost only 4 grains. This year another group of idaho hunters used them to kill 3 elk all were one shot kills. Two of them completely penetrated one plowed from front quarter to the hind quarte.

Attachments

• 20200901_194632.jpg
    20200901_194632.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201010_201905.jpg
    20201010_201905.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 6
The paper patch has always interested me. You size it down??? To what size??? Then what paper do you use??? More info please.

Couldnt you just use a gas check like the bullet was designed for? I was thinking about if anyone shot cast lead with copper gas checks in MLs the other day. Dont know why you couldnt?

The paper patch has always interested me. You size it down??? To what size??? Then what paper do you use??? More info please.

After wrapping I size to .501 the paper I use on those is 9# onion skin. The paper I'm currently working with is 25% cotton. The 100% wood pulp onion skin works well too.

Couldnt you just use a gas check like the bullet was designed for? I was thinking about if anyone shot cast lead with copper gas checks in MLs the other day. Dont know why you couldnt?

There was mention of putting gas checks on bullets not designed for them. By drilling a hole in the check, then putting the check into the top of the bottom pour mold, then pouring lead into the mold, thru the hole in the check. So you could, possibly, have a GC bullet without having to get a mold made of the same bullet but with a GC base.

First, in Idaho a bullet with a gas check is illegal for game use. I've never tried it since I would never use them. The paper protects the barrel from leading up. Consistency is why I use paper patched bullets. I'm sure naked bullets can be made and lube can be made to be accurate. I've not had luck with it. Once I got a load that I trusted I quit trying to make other stuff work.

First, in Idaho a bullet with a gas check is illegal for game use. I've never tried it since I would never use them. The paper protects the barrel from leading up. Consistency is why I use paper patched bullets. I'm sure naked bullets can be made and lube can be made to be accurate. I've not had luck with it. Once I got a load that I trusted I quit trying to make other stuff work.

Idahoron
Just curious. Why are gas check bullets Illegal for game use in Idaho?

Idahoron
Just curious. Why are gas check bullets Illegal for game use in Idaho?

On muzzleloader only hunts the bullet can not have anything permanently attached to the all lead bullet. A plastic tip is illegal. A copper gas check attached to the base is illegal. A plastic over powder wad is legal as long as it will separate at the shot.

On muzzleloader only hunts the bullet can not have anything permanently attached to the all lead bullet. A plastic tip is illegal. A copper gas check attached to the base is illegal. A plastic over powder wad is legal as long as it will separate at the shot.

I miss your muzzle loader videos on YouTube, hoping you post more at some point.

Mose annealed his gas checks and made some truly excellent bullets. I believe Tom Lodge learned the process from Mose.

Attachments

• Mose421.5.jpg
    Mose421.5.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
Back