"Get a Grip" with Deer Tracks - Part 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my old posting where I added "Deer Tracks" to the slippery laminated stock of my T/C Omega X7 -- well now, I've gone and done it again! Click Here for the link to the old X7 posting.

My best friend of many decades -- who is also now my daughter's father-in-law -- convinced me that he'd use the old X7 much more than I would, and I must have had the hots for something else at the time, so I sold it away... Recently though, I got the urge to get another late-season scoped muzzleloader and I went looking for another nice Omega. I got lucky and found a new-old-stock black/silver laminated stock Omega that was made back in 2003 that was in great shape, so I brought it home. If it was shot any, it couldn't have been more than 5 times as it didn't have a mark on it. (It did, as I found out though, have the "old style" breech plug and I posted about that last week.)

This time, instead of hunting with it just to find out again how "slick-ery" the laminated T/C really was (which is a dangerous combination of "slick" and "slippery"), I immediately set about to add another set of deer tracks to the stock to improve the grip on my Silver/Gray SS TC Omega.

Recalling that many here liked those deer tracks when I did them the first time, I took more "before" and "during" photo's this time, so what follows is a mini-tutorial on how I did it, just in case someone else gets inspired to do the same.

So here we go... Deer Track prints can be found on Google/Images and you can paste the image into a program like Paint or PowerPoint to change the sizes, as I did. Once I get the track to the size and position I wanted, I copy it, paste and then "reverse image" the track to get a set to use on the other side of the gun; that way, both sides mirror each other. When I cut them out from paper, I put one over the other and cut both at the same time, then I can use corners or parts of the track as a reference point to measure to the edge of the stock or screw hole, etc to ensure the positioning on both sides is the same. Here you see the tracks taped to the stock where they'll be added:
jm58uTH.jpg

Then I used a sharp punch (could use a nail) to put a dot every 1/4" or 3/8" or so around the outline of the track. These get covered by the dimples or ball cuts later, as I used a small ball cutter mounted on the flexible shaft of a Dremel Tool. Just go slow and don't let the punch slip on you. Also, it pays to know in advance when you're following a line of dots whether you are cutting inside or outside of that line. Just take a look at the holes you made and the print of the track to keep in mind where you're at and what needs to be cut. Seriously, it's almost like "coloring" -- only using a Dremel Tool -- so just stay inside the lines!! :D
vNAsnhK.jpg

Here's a close-up of the "1st cuts" of the dimples, divots or cuts left by the ball cutter. How close you space them, or overlap the cuts is up to you, but while this looks OK, I knew it could be better. I do wear a 5X magnifying headpiece when I do this close-up work. What you can't easily see here, due to the "50 Shades of Gray" on my stock :wink: is the "islands" of stock between some cuts:
uJtS7AL.jpg

So in this pix, I added one coat of flat black paint, from one of those felt pens that Birchwood Casey sells for touching up gun parts. The added paint really makes the "holidays" or "islands" of stock material that still needs to be cut away more easily seen:
W0Jpe3A.jpg

For a job like this, it's best to put it down and walk away and come back fresh, so that's what I did while the paint dried. And I came back and finished the deer tracks a couple of nights later. I tried to get a more even pattern on each track, and I am pretty pleased with how it came out. And I do think it's even better than the tracks on the X7, due to doing the 2nd pass with the cutting tool and also because I think the black paint provides better contrast to the stock versus the brown stain I had used on the brown X7's stock. Here's the forearm:
NoDTvsO.jpg

By the way, you can see I added a Leupold Scope, as I'm partial to that brand, and I also like the performance and features of their 2-7X Ultimate Slam Scope -- mounted as low as possible too -- and using their QR mount/rings is a plus too, I think. Here's a close-up of the pistol grip area:
0HqSzm1.jpg

And finally, this will show you all areas of the Omega's stock where the grip was much improved -- and, may I say, I think it looks pretty sharp and very appropriate too!
3m5gzWc.jpg

Good luck to anyone else who does this. PM me if you have questions, but it's not all that difficult; as once you've made the first nail punch or cut, you're committed and then it goes along pretty quickly.

Tight groups.

Old No7

Nice job. That really does look cool. :yeah: Other than the flat black paint do you coat the "tracks" with anything?

ShawnT said:
Nice job. That really does look cool. :yeah: Other than the flat black paint do you coat the "tracks" with anything?
Thanks for the comment. Yes, after the paint had dried, I coated the tracks with several light coats of Tung Oil (low gloss).

Old No7

Great work again!

I like the Deer Tracks so much that I had to buy that option on my daughters muzzleloader when I got her a Boyds stock.

Thanks for posting how it's done, I may try that on my muzzleloader.

BuckDoeHunter said:
I like the Deer Tracks so much that I had to buy that option on my daughters muzzleloader when I got her a Boyds stock.
So you're saying Boyds might owe me some royalties too?!?! :wink:

Good luck if you do that; it's not all that difficult.

Old No7

Old No7 said:
ShawnT said:
Thanks for the comment. Yes, after the paint had dried, I coated the tracks with several light coats of Tung Oil (low gloss).

Old No7
I sort of thought you might have. I was thinking I might like to do something similar on my Marathon kit but since it is a .32 caliber "Deer" tracks don't seem like the right choice. :lol:

Thanks,

So after a hunting season with the new tracks how did they work out?

03mossy said:
So after a hunting season with the new tracks how did they work out?
They worked awesome, thanks!

Had it out for 2 full days on both Saturdays of ME's late-season BP for deer, and a couple of half days too.

Not even once did it ever feel like it was slipping...............

Never once got to pull the trigger either... But that's not the fault of the deer tracks. I did see deer tracks in the snow, but just wasn't able to connect this year.

I just might use it for coyotes a couple of time this "wintah" -- as a 50-caliber hole ought to ventilate a fawn-eating coyote really well!

And now I'm planning to put "something" (no design decided on yet) on my 22 Savage BTVS which also has a slick laminated stock with no grip.

Tight groups.

Old No7

That looks great and I’m going to have to do something along that line to mine.

Question though - what is the cheek rest you have on that gun? I’m currently using a stock pack with mouse pad built up underneath. It works but that looks sharp.

Some of you may remember my old posting where I added "Deer Tracks" to the slippery laminated stock of my T/C Omega X7 -- well now, I've gone and done it again! Click Here for the link to the old X7 posting.

My best friend of many decades -- who is also now my daughter's father-in-law -- convinced me that he'd use the old X7 much more than I would, and I must have had the hots for something else at the time, so I sold it away... Recently though, I got the urge to get another late-season scoped muzzleloader and I went looking for another nice Omega. I got lucky and found a new-old-stock black/silver laminated stock Omega that was made back in 2003 that was in great shape, so I brought it home. If it was shot any, it couldn't have been more than 5 times as it didn't have a mark on it. (It did, as I found out though, have the "old style" breech plug and I posted about that last week.)............................

Tight groups.

Old No7

This gun turned out really great!! The template size and position are perfect. Excellent work!

That looks great and I’m going to have to do something along that line to mine.

Question though - what is the cheek rest you have on that gun? I’m currently using a stock pack with mouse pad built up underneath. It works but that looks sharp.

If I recall, it is a stick-on cheek rest from Cheek-Eze. I got it from Brownells years ago, and they offered it in different heights -- you'd have to do a Google search to see if they're still available.

Edit to add...
After a few years, some of the edges of the cheek rest started to lift, so I added small brass tacks every 1" around it's edges that I painted black later. It will never come off now.

This gun turned out really great!! The template size and position are perfect. Excellent work!

Thanks, I appreciate the comment.

I did make the deer track on the pistol grip larger, but that was not done "for looks" -- it was done so it over-wrapped slightly to the back & front and wasn't just centered on the sides as a smaller print would have been. That way, I got a better grip in that area.

Old No7

Back