Getting my sidelock out.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got my first pair of prescription eye glasses a few weeks ago. Im 65 now. My sidelock has been shelved for the last 5 years or so cause I cant see the sights and target well enough. Well, I think that changed. I pulled it of the rack the other day and held it up like I was going to kill something. Oh did that feel good. I can see the sights and the target so im getting it out of mothballs. PRB here I come.

Progressive lenses????? Whatever that means. I had my wife go with me to give the lady all the answers. You know, like a little school boy. I started with a traditional sideloack also. Way back then Im not sure there was a choice. Never tried flintlocks and likely wont. I love my sidelock as is (cap). Ive stated here many times that from the time I was 25 until I was 60 I killed at least 2 deer a year with it. All this fuss about projectiles that will and will not kill deer. A PRB did me just fine all those years. Accuracy, I guess so. I know that if you gave me an afternoon and a corn field I would bring home a deer carcass We dumped whatever powder, patch, and round ball was available at the local store and went out and killed deer. In retrospect I could have done better but thats the learning curve. In the last few years of attending this forum I think I learned as much about muzzle loaders as I did the first 35 years. So I am looking forward to getting back to shooting it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I find it funny how much people today worry about the minutia of EVERYTHING. Back in 1971, the only things I bought were the .45 caliber flintlock longrifle, flints, black powder, a 0.445" scissors mold, an adjustable brass volume powder measure, and a raw cow's horn to make a powder horn from. I already had a 25 pound bag of 0.456" lead buckshot purchased for a 1860 Colt Army revolver. Everything else got made from scratch, because I was poor, and couldn't afford to buy everything from the DGW catalog. I was already doing leatherwork, so I had scrap leather laying around. I didn't care, or know about historical correctness. I just made things to please me.

The rifle was capable of quarter size groups at 100 yards off the bench. Offhand, I could manage 4"-5" at 100 yards with open sights, and Coke bottle glasses (18 years old). I stumbled upon a load combo early on that allowed me to shoot consecutive shots without needing to swab the bore between shots. Serendipity, or GOD looking out for a kid that had no mentors.

Yeah, I had no mentors either. But I do like to squeeze the best out of my CF guns and will do so with muzzle loaders. I like to tease the guys here a little but the fact is we are responsible for being humane to the animals we hunt and doing the very best we can. I do like playing with different projectiles but back then it was a PRB and that was it. Back then an upgrade to your gun was having a friend carry it instead of having to carry it yourself. LOL

Yeah, I had no mentors either. But I do like to squeeze the best out of my CF guns and will do so with muzzle loaders. I like to tease the guys here a little but the fact is we are responsible for being humane to the animals we hunt and doing the very best we can. I do like playing with different projectiles but back then it was a PRB and that was it. Back then an upgrade to your gun was having a friend carry it instead of having to carry it yourself. LOL
That's why I only hunted from 50 yards, and closer. I didn't trust my eyesight at 100 yards on an everyday basis for humane kills. On a good day I could duplicate that quarter size group at 100 yards offhand, but you can't count on "good" days, for everyday hunting.

I was fortunate that my first flintlock had a well assembled large Siler lock that never gave me moments trouble. It went off as dependably as any percussion rifle I've ever shot. And, because there was no one to tell me all the horrors about shooting a flintlock, I just did it, and never developed a flinch from the flash in the pan.

Anyway, good luck getting back into the swing of things with your percussion sidelock. What kind of rifle is it?

Ive had it so long I dont remember where it came from. I had to replace the barrel with a Green Mountain 1/66 because I didnt know how you take care of the first one. Some of the fellows here think it is an Investarms, cabelas or such. Go to a thread below and there are pics. The wood is beautiful even after years of dragging it around the country side. Next Winter I may do a little work on the wood to sweeten it up.

What gun maker is this??

Flinch LOL. I am a lefty and every time I pull the trigger on a semi-auto I get to watch the spent round roll out of the chamber right in front of my eyes. Really, A flash in the pan would be more intrusive though.

Back