Getting Powder to the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm all setup with my new to me smokeless muzzleloader and I realized that I don't want to be weighing charges at the range (always windy at my range).
What do folks use to transport loads for load work up?
I've got a 45cal and IMR4227 so it looks like I'll be in the 60gr range.
Links to products would be helpful.
Thanks
Ross

Last edited:
You better start lower with that powder and work up. It spikes pressure much faster than 4198. I don't know what your barrel profile is but I don't exceed 55gr of 4227 in my brake action with a 275 gr bullet. That gives me 2500+fps in a 25" barrel

Thanks for the safety note... That's not my load data just what I want the tube to hold.
As an FYI it's a Rem 700 with a Brux #7 with Hank's LRMP modules.

Lane's tubes.
Just can't beat them and they are completely moisture/water proof.
You can find them in the classified section or on Ebay.
You can get different colored caps, which is great for different charges, such as 50grs brand "X" propellant with a GREEN cap, 55grs with a WHITE cap and 58grs with a RED cap.

Forgot......... they can be bought in 5ml or 10ml. I use the 10ml for BH209. For SML I use the 5ml

Consider this, the guy posting those large loads of 4227 is using a barrel that is 1.3" OD for like 6" and then tapering to 1" OD. Its a super beefy barrel. IIRC he is also using steel DI modules.

Even with a 1.3 barrel I don't believe 80gr is achievable at least not for accuracy/precision. I have witnessed the DI module head blown off due to extremely high pressure. Tread lightly with fast rise to peak powders. Just my 2 cents. There are way better powders for that barrel profile albeit in much higher doses ie benchmark, 4895,varget etc.

Yeah....as I said, don't get hung up on the 80gr thing....I won't be putting that much down the barrel. I'll edit my post so folks quit focusing on it. Vials people....I curious about vials.

I'll be running this fairly slowly as I'm recoil sensitive with some old shoulder injuries that have never fully healed.

I got these from Amazon. $8.99 for 50. Holds 92 grains of BH 209. Fat bottom. Screw on caps.

Eowpower 50pcs 5ml Plastic Graduated Vial Storage Container Test Tubes with Screw Caps

Question............. Have you ever checked them for moisture issues?
I checked a bunch by adding some weight (pellets) in the bottom of the container, then filled it the remainder of the way with common household flour. Drop them in a container of water and leave it 12hrs. Yeah I know its extreme BUT..... we sometimes hunt in extreme.
After 12hrs pull them and dry the outside off completely, then remove the cap. No moisture or water should get into them and the flour should all be dry ;)

Another thing to watch is that some plastics are degraded/attacked by propellants, smokeless and black.

Don't know about smokeless, but mine have had BH 209 in them for 4 months with no moisture or plastic degradation.

Quite accept that most plastic phials especially those sold for pharmaceutical use are fine with propellants, I have tubes loaded with Black and Smokeless for years with no ill effects.

However leaving a quantity of Vihta Vouri smokeless in a reputable make of powder dispenser resulted in the feed tank suffering somewhat.

Revised my thinking when, about ten years ago, I started looking towards making up loads using plastic phials for my M.L Pistols and my Parker Hale .451 M.L. Rifle.

Attachments

• 20210407_130942_resized.jpg
    20210407_130942_resized.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 30
Back