Getting ready to pull the trigger pros/ cons?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick search for AZ Regs shows this from Go Hunt. Looks like Smokeless is out but most everything else goes.

Arizona is one of the most relaxed states when it comes to their laws regarding muzzleloaders where:
  • A muzzleloader means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder;
  • Must be incapable of firing fixed ammunition;
  • Must have a single barrel and single chamber;
  • Must be loaded from the muzzle end of the barrel only;
  • Must be ignited with black powder or synthetic black power; and
  • Must only fire a single projectile.
There are no restrictions on optics, projectiles or ignition sources. While this is a great fact for hunters in Arizona, it is important to note that a legal Arizona muzzleloader setup may not be usable in many other states. Consider your long-term goals when purchasing a muzzleloader to avoid the situation where a second firearm may need to be purchased.

Here's my old timer two cents;
I purchased a Knight Bighorn years back, killed my biggest buck to date with it at over 300 yards. Gave it to my son and purchased a Knight Disc Elite. I like the Discs because they are so easy and quick to use. The Dis Elite has a U-shaped lug for accuracy (the Ultralight has it as well) while the other Knights have a square lug. The Disc Elite and the Ultralight have a tapered barrel. I have never shot a rifle that fits me so well as does the Elite and it shoots better than my custom loaded 25-06. So much so I took it on my LE Utah Antelope hunt and was successful in taking a nice goat. I have had the Elite for 20 plus years and have never bought another.

Attachments

• 20180916_102107.jpg
    20180916_102107.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161021_121505.jpg
    20161021_121505.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 7
I have had both an Encore in .50 and a Ultralight in .50. I really wanted to like the Encore but just never felt it was ideal for my style of hunting. When shouldering the Encore it always felt like it needed a check riser on the stock and the grip angle was too steep for me. The trigger was OK, but needed more professional work to be "good". I was also not impressed with the bluing on the Encore. I sold it it the same year I bought it.

I currently hunt with the ultralight. Great rifle - excellent adjustable hunting trigger, light weight, very durable finish. I would buy this rifle again but as the nitride treated Colorado legal 209 bare primer version. I have no complaints about the rifle.

If this is to be your one and only and last rifle - buy it in .50 cal. .50 cal is still the industry standard for muzzleloading supplies you will have a greater choice of equipment, sabots and bullets. 300 yard in .50 is really not an issue for deer if you have the the correct load, dope chart and a lot of practice.

Good luck!

Really when it comes down to it, there's a bunch of good choices out there. Of all the options that are being discussed there's not really a bad choice in the bunch.
I've owned T/C's and Knights. My Knights have all been dirty. The last one I had was a Mountaineer .45 1-20". After getting a Bestill plug, finding an FPJ bolt handle and converting it to a Lehigh type bare primer bolt setup I could shoot and the breech area would remain spotless. I put an Ultralite stock on it and it was a real nice rifle. But the bolt was always real stiff and a pain to operate. I absolutely love a smooth bolt action but that wasn't it.
Last year I decided to put together the "perfect for me" hunting gun. I put one of the ASG Brux Encore barrels on a frame that I had given the Bellm spring treatment to and a snow camo dipped thumbhole stock. It's an easy 300 yard gun, which is farther than I could shoot during hunting. I'm real happy with this gun and I think it's going to be sticking around awhile. If I were doing it all over again I'd probably build the exact same gun. The only other option I would consider is something like the RUM with the ASG breech plug to be able to shoot BH209.

IF you want to spend the money on a muzzleloader, see if you can get ahold of Luke at ASG. If I recall correctly he relocated from Iowa to Arizona a couple years ago. He just may let you come take a look at some of his work. You may not be able hunt with smokeless but the smokeless guns also make great BH209 guns.

Really leaning toward the knight ultralight 1/20 twist, nitride ( mountaineer is out). Cattle dogs comment makes a lot of sense with the 50 cal. Just got the draw results and pulled a bull tag, so need to make a decision and get things rolling. I really appreciate all the responses,but just when I think I have made my decision I read 1 more post and someone's imput gets me thinking!!!

Really leaning toward the knight ultralight 1/20 twist, nitride ( mountaineer is out). Cattle dogs comment makes a lot of sense with the 50 cal. Just got the draw results and pulled a bull tag, so need to make a decision and get things rolling. I really appreciate all the responses,but just when I think I have made my decision I read 1 more post and someone's imput gets me thinking!!!
Stop thinking and "pull that trigger". Worst case, me or someone else here will buy it from you if you dont like it.

Buy the UL. If you don't like it I will sell a kidney and purchase it from you.:)

Stop thinking and "pull that trigger". Worst case, me or someone else here will buy it from you if you dont like it.

All good choices so just pick whatever your leaning towards. Just keep trying until you find your perfect rig.

Congratulations on the Bull tag, I'm assuming Az, what unit were you fortunate to draw in?

Got the results myself in Az big fat nothing for ELk or Pronghorn

Bull tag is in 6a, best odds! Unit gets pounded w way too many hunts and tags but have had this tag a few times and know the unit well. First mature bull gets smoked, this is not a trophy unit but like most units in Az there are some really nice bulls in it.

Shot was true!!!
Knight ultralight 45 caliber,1-20 trust,nitride finish, 209 bare primer. Thanks for all your input, think I'm going to really like this rifle. Putting a Steiner 3x15x50 on top. Arizona bull elk tag to boot. Life is good!

You may want to contact Bestill on this board and talk to Jeff about his breech plugs. With Jeffs breech plug system it will make that gun as user friendly as any Custom rifle.

If you have any trouble developing a load for this rifle do not hesitate ask for help. lots of good people on this board .

Shot was true!!!
Knight ultralight 45 caliber,1-20 trust,nitride finish, 209 bare primer. Thanks for all your input, think I'm going to really like this rifle. Putting a Steiner 3x15x50 on top. Arizona bull elk tag to boot. Life is good!

:2cool:

Starting out w 90 grains of blackthorn 209 and a 240 grain super shockbullet. This load was recommended to me by someone who shoots for knight competitively and also builds the rifles. Good starting point. I am all ears if anyone has this rifle and has a combo they like!

I had a .45 1-20” Mountaineer that loved the 460 no excuse conicals. That bullet would put a hurt on an Elk!

I had a .45 1-20” Mountaineer that loved the 460 no excuse conicals. That bullet would put a hurt on an Elk!

There is no doubt the above load will do the trick ! If you are after a little flatter shooting combination that will easily hold 1000 lbs of ft energy out to 400 yards I would go with 300 or better yet 325 grain Pittman Aeromax bullets . That is a high BC muzzleloading bullet . They have a .021 jacket. The bullet is a .452 bullet. They will need to be sized for your bore. Sizing bullets is a very easy process. The 325 grain Pittman Aeromax bullet I would think would work perfect for Elk.

I am also a Knight Staff shooter. Feel free to pm or call for any time. I would be glad to help you or for that matter anyone regarding developing a load for Knight rifles. Im am sure there are others on this board that are more knowkedable than myself but i have definitley spent a ton of time developing loads . My cel # 260 341 8915

Back