Given a Bowtec Assassin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been away from vertical bows for a number of years, switched to crossbows.
Bowtech makes some good bows from what I recall.
The model you have is rated to over 300 fps. Light weight and fairly compact.
Should be a good shooter. Get some good arrows, not cheap Walmart ones. Black Eagle arrows are probably what I would say to get.

Thank you, I actually took it to a local shop. They are tuning it for me. I got arrows with it but I feel they are too short since the draw length was set a 26. I moved it out to 28.5.

Wow, 26 is short. If your arrow tip doesn't contact the arrow rest at full draw, you should be good. I always liked to keep my arrows as short as possible.
My Mathews bow had a 28 inch draw length. I think my arrows were 27 inches, if I remember correctly.

You'll likely be better off getting new arrows anyway, the spine of them may be too weak for the increase in draw length you needed to fit you vs. the previous owner.
Make sure to talk with the shop about what new arrows you'll need, they will be able to recommend the proper spine arrows for your draw length, draw weight, and how heavy of a tip (broad head or target) you plan to use.
They'll need your new arrows made before they can paper tune the bow to them, won't do you a lot of good if they are tuning it to the arrows that came with it that you don't plan to use.
A good arrow rest, wrist release, peep, and sight will get you shooting decent with practice. A stabilizer is nice, but not necessary if money is a bit tight.
If you've never shot before, now is the time to watch a few youtube videos about proper form, before you develop bad habits that will need changed.

I bought my Assassin when they first came out. It's a great bow. They can be a bit finicky when tuning because of the binary cam setup but once set, they seem to hold the tune well.
B8Y6c9N.jpg

Bow came to me as purchased, it has a stabilizer and I believe it has a peep too. Haven't heard back from the shop and it's been a couple weeks. I might give them a jingle tomorrow.

You have a decent bow that will get you back into the joy of shooting. The shop should be configuring the bow to fit you while you are present. They can measure and adjust your proper draw length, determine comfortable draw weight, cut correct arrows to size and add a new peep properly positioned for clear view at full draw/anchor. Some "tuning" can occur without you there with a bow square and vice but shooting it to check proper arrow flight and having them adjusting to that should also occur.

Latest posts

Back