GM barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveo1854

Reaction score
I decided to purchase a GM barrel from track's because I wanted a RB shooter and since they don't make them anymore, I figured I'd enquire one while still around. It's a .50cal 1:66 twist cap. I had an extra stock that I wanted to play around with. Anyone with any info on this barrel would be appreciated. There are no markings at all on the barrel and I don't really care for the Williams front sight. Thx

I am pretty Sure Green Mountain currently makes the Roundball Twist “Drop in” Barrels for the TC Hawken (15/16”) I Contacted Track of the Wolf awhile back and asked about this? At the time i called they were out of the 15/16” But Showed that i could “Back Order” I was curious what the deal was? The Guy at TOTW told me that they were expecting more of the 15/16” Drop in Barrels any day. Breech Plugs are the Hang up on the 1” Barrels, The 1” Drop in Barrels at TOTW use to Show as “Back orderable” But they don’t anymore? I just recently went through this on a 1” Fast Twist .36 Cal Barrel Build, The 1” Hooked Breech Plugs for the TC’s are IMPOSSIBLE to find right now, 15/16 Plugs were no problem to find.

And as you can see from this Link, they showed up. So either Green Mountain is sitting on a Pile of these Old Stock Barrels, Or they can Produce them when they want? I hope they start doing this again with their LRH (Fast Twist) Line of Barrels
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/648/1

Last edited:
I am pretty Sure Green Mountain currently makes the Roundball Twist “Drop in” Barrels for the TC Hawken (15/16”) I Contacted Track of the Wolf awhile back and asked about this? At the time i called they were out of the 15/16” But Showed that i could “Back Order” I was curious what the deal was? The Guy at TOTW told me that they were expecting more of the 15/16” Drop in Barrels any day. Breech Plugs are the Hang up on the 1” Barrels, The 1” Drop in Barrels at TOTW use to Show as “Back orderable” But they don’t anymore? I just recently went through this on a 1” Fast Twist .36 Cal Barrel Build, The 1” Hooked Breech Plugs for the TC’s are IMPOSSIBLE to find right now, 15/16 Plugs were no problem to find.

And as you can see from this Link, they showed up. So either Green Mountain is sitting on a Pile of these Old Stock Barrels, Or they can Produce them when they want? I hope they start doing this again with their LRH (Fast Twist) Line of Barrels
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/648/1
I also emailed green mountain few weeks ago and they told me they are no longer making the tc drop in barrel and do not have and left overs in stock so I image track and other big retailers bought them up. I also wanted a .54 barrel but in slow twist that I could not locate. I did see tracks has them listed on BO also. This 50 GM barrel I just received, the rifling is very nice. I mounted it last night and it's tight fit but my tc wedge doesn't quite fit, it very loose. It being 4" longer makes it much front heavier to free hand. Soild barrel, looking fwd to trying it out soon.

Use a piece of 3/8” Round bar Stock layed flat across the under lug and give it a light smack with a Hammer to tighten Wedge Key fit. Bending the Wedge key itself is a “Band Aid” Fix. Also, i mark my Wedge keys so that they go back in the Exact same way, I use a lightly Engraved T marked on Top of my Keys, Stands for Top, and is facing me when i put my Rifle back together.

If by chance you go a little to much it is easy to fix with the GM Lugs, just Take the Lug off, put the 3/8 Round Bar Stock on end in the Bend and Give a Smack to Straighten it back out some. Very simple procedure :lewis:
FwfHcHxl.jpg

Ok i will give it a try. Here's the email I got from GMView attachment 4205

I was hoping they were stil Making them, but as I mentioned above, it could of been Back Stock Barrels that Track of the wolf was getting from them? Sure enough
Same thing with the LRH Line, i called them like 3 years or so ago on them, at that time they had between 40 and 50 .45 Cal LRH Drop in Barrels stil in Stock, I Bought one for 76 bucks! I kick myself daily for not Buying several of them at that price! But at the time I really wasn’t interested in a .45, i needed a .50 or .54 to Hunt Elk with here in Idaho. I now have 2 of their .45s, a super fast 1:18 Twist 32” Barrel (Gift From Idahoron :lewis:) their 1:30 Twist LRH, .50, and the REALLY Rare .54 LRH, The only Fast Twist GM Barrel I don’t have is their “Sharp Shooter”

While it’s a Shame that Green Mountain doesn’t make the Drop in Barrels anymore, There are others that do :lewis: Rice Barrels makes them, i Have a Rice Drop in (High Quality, AWESOME Shooting Barrel) I just had a Fast Twist .36 Cal Barrel made by Jim Carpenter, Jim does AWESOME work!! With Jim you need to Supply a Breech Plug.

As I mentioned above, Breech Plugs for the 1” TC Barrels are nearly impossible to Find. Allan Foundry (Pete Allan) is who makes/Made, Supplied them to most Everyone (Maybe others as well?) Rumor has it he is suppose to be turning out a Bunch of them? I waited for several months for a New Breech Plug from Pete Allan for my Fast Twist .36 Cal that Jim Carpenter just Built for me, I finally got tired of Waiting on the new Plug and went with a used Plug from 1 of my TC Renegade .54 Cal Barrels.

Rice Barrels makes High Quality Breech Plugs :lewis: I believe they are Machined?

I was hoping they were stil Making them, but as I mentioned above, it could of been Back Stock Barrels that Track of the wolf was getting from them? Sure enough
Same thing with the LRH Line, i called them like 3 years or so ago on them, at that time they had between 40 and 50 .45 Cal LRH Drop in Barrels stil in Stock, I Bought one for 76 bucks! I kick myself daily for not Buying several of them at that price! But at the time I really wasn’t interested in a .45, i needed a .50 or .54 to Hunt Elk with here in Idaho. I now have 2 of their .45s, a super fast 1:18 Twist 32” Barrel (Gift From Idahoron :lewis:) their 1:30 Twist LRH, .50, and the REALLY Rare .54 LRH, The only Fast Twist GM Barrel I don’t have is their “Sharp Shooter”

While it’s a Shame that Green Mountain doesn’t make the Drop in Barrels anymore, There are others that do :lewis: Rice Barrels makes them, i Have a Rice Drop in (High Quality, AWESOME Shooting Barrel) I just had a Fast Twist .36 Cal Barrel made by Jim Carpenter, Jim does AWESOME work!! With Jim you need to Supply a Breech Plug.
I also contacted Jason at rice barrels and he informed me they only make up to .40 cal.

You might check with Rice Barrels. I'm thinking Jason is building drop ins.

I very much enjoy shooting the .54 with PRB but the accuracy I'm looking for is not there in the tc 1:48. It likes maxi balls and 425gr Hornady GPB but it absolutely destroys my shoulder after so many rounds 80gr 2f goex. I can shoot PRB all day. Here in PA your lucky to get over 100yrd shot anyway. Btw hornady discontinued the GPB in .54 My gun likes them best so I found some online and bought 5 boxes for hunting.

Latest posts

Back