Gobbler with an Underhammer

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Idaholewis, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Apr 25, 2018 #1

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Staff Member Global Moderator

Posting a few pics for Forum member Harleysboss. He killed a Gobbler with his 12 Gauge Underhammer Shotgun. AWESOME job Harleysboss! :yeah:

[​IMG]

And the Underhammer, Pretty darn Cool gun!!

[​IMG]

2. Apr 25, 2018 #2

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

Congrats to him! Nice turkey, nice shotgun.

3. Apr 26, 2018 #3

CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

Congrats... nice bird!

4. Apr 26, 2018 #4

Harleysboss

Harleysboss

Harleysboss

Thanks for posting idaholewis. Here is the facts. A local gunsmith here in Washington built the underhammer. Its a 12ga cylinder bore half oct/round. I had it made just for turkey hunting. The hunt took place in a small Central Wash town of Cashmere. The bird was called in mid afternoon. I located him in a lonely canyon gobbling at what ever turkeys gobble at. My buddy and I worked our way along a short ridge that ran above his location. We set up and began our calling sequence. The bird came in quiet until he was just 40 or 50 yards out then he began ripping gobbles. I yelped softly and he came running up. He was slightly down hill at about 30 yards. I had to lay on my left side to clear the bush I was hiding behind. When the smoke cleared I could see that he was struggling but he was walking off. I used my binos and saw that the back of his head was really shinny and wet looking. He slowly rolled on his side and put his head down. It was at that very moment that my hunting partner came running over the ridge asking if I got him. The turkey had just enough giddy up to jump and lock his wings and soar straight down into the canyon below. Lucky for me, My buddy was able to watch him go. He watched and told me that he crashed into a dead log at the bottom. After making it to the bottom we were able to locate and recover my turkey. Funny thing happened while we were looking. Evidently all the commotion had called in another bird. As we were searching another Tom worked up to the ridge and began ripping gobbles. We tried to get him for my buddy but no dice. We finally got the dreaded PUTT PUTT warning and he was gone. The load is one that I have read about on another trad. muzzleloading forum. It goes like this. 75 weighed grns og FFG Goex, one 1/8" hard card, 1 1/4oz #5 shot, one over shot card finally followed by one soaked wet with olive oil 1/2" cushion wad. Dont ask me why it works but it surely does. I've shot my best, tight patterns using this load sequence. Well that's it. Hope you all enjoy the turkey pictures. The gun too!. The hunter, well not so much.

5. Jan 19, 2019 #5

munchoman

munchoman

munchoman

The receiver looks like a Deer Creek, was it built by Blue Grouse? are they still in business?

6. Jan 25, 2019 #6

Harleysboss

Harleysboss

Harleysboss

No the receiver was home built by a local gun smith here in Washington State, John Taylor of Taylor Machine/gunsmith. Blue Grouse is out of business I'm pretty sure.

7. Jan 25, 2019 #7

Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Good Job! Nice turkey and a beautiful gun you got there. One more weekend of bow hunting for me, then getting gear ready for spring gobbler. Can't wait.

8. Jan 26, 2019 #8

old/new

old/new

old/new

9. Jan 26, 2019 #9

old/new

old/new

old/new

Beauty of a gun. Never saw one before. Great turkey. Western bird?