Goex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to use FFg Goex back when I could get it. Now have to use 777. Open sighted Renegade .50. I can't tell any accuracy difference.

I have shot GOEX 2F and 3F . I cant really cant tell the difference , however I am a bit new to black. I also shoot Old Eynsford 2F . I also cant tell a difference except I swear there is less gunk on the patch after each shot. I weighed Old Eyenford , Goex 2 and 3. Sixty gr. of Goex 2 and 3 vol. came in at 54 gr of weight. Old Eynsford came with in a 60 gr weight . No doubt I am getting a bit more from the Goex but I dont care a whole lot . Goex is 10% lighter but I bet Old Eynsford would give me higher vel. with equal vol.

I have shot GOEX 2F and 3F . I cant really cant tell the difference , however I am a bit new to black. I also shoot Old Eynsford 2F . I also cant tell a difference except I swear there is less gunk on the patch after each shot. I weighed Old Eyenford , Goex 2 and 3. Sixty gr. of Goex 2 and 3 vol. came in at 54 gr of weight. Old Eynsford came with in a 60 gr weight . No doubt I am getting a bit more from the Goex but I dont care a whole lot . Goex is 10% lighter but I bet Old Eynsford would give me higher vel. with equal vol.

Old E IS a Goex product. It's like regular and premium gas from the gas station.

I experimented quite a bit with several powders from standard "red can" Goex to Old E to Schutzen to Swiss and I found best accuracy/least fouling with Swiss followed closely by Old E. Since I shoot minies and don't wipe between shots in competition, fouling can be an issue. Minies are sensitive to fouling buildup and I've found that keeping the fouling down coupled with a good lube and right size minie are the ticket to accuracy and not needing to wipe. When balanced right, the minie can be shot many, many times without wiping or loss of usable accuracy.

Dave, do you like the red can GOEX? I am quite new to real black powder and want to test a bunch of them before I go buy 15 lbs of one kind. I am also interested in Schutzen and Grafs brand. Sure are cheaper and yesterday I read that Goex is making Grafs cause Goex gave them a better price. Goex doesnt have to ship it half way around the world so it should be cheaper.

Full disclosure here, I AM a competition shooter.

That said, "red can" or basic Goex works good. But there is better available from Goex, namely Old E. Schutzen and Graf's are in that same performance bracket as "red can". Swiss is to Schutzen as Old E is to Goex "red can".

Do I shoot standard Goex? Not if I can get Swiss or Old E but again, I shoot competition. I have found that Swiss and Old E are more "energetic" meaning for a given velocity, I'll use less of them than say Schutzen so the cost per shot is nearly the same.

Another big issue is fouling. Swiss and Old E absolutely have less fouling and that's very important when competing with a Minie ball musket.

I have noticed the same . Old Eynsford seems like the patch does not get gunked up as fast. Old E. seems like the burnt powder can almost fall off the patch if you hit it a bit. I get Old Eynsford for $26.99 plus tax = about $ 28.50 at the gun shop 9 miles away. I like to patronize a gun shop that still sells it, especially since it's 9 miles away.

Well I WAS getting Old E for $23/lb but the shop was gobbled up in a corp take over and the new owners moved the inventory and shut the doors and fired everybody. So much for having a cheap source of Old E less than 20 miles from the house. That's when I switched to Swiss.

I've shot standard Goex for years with no issues, it's just when I'm going for accuracy and speed, it's Swiss or Old E no questions about it.

Back