Goex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
This may have been asked before if so sorry ,how many shooter use goex 2f or 3f .

I shoot Goex quite a bit. I also shoot Swiss. The Goex shoots very consistent, it is more dirtier than the Swiss but the fouling seems softer to me. Cleanup is easy. I guess if I was shooting in competition I would use Swiss but otherwise Goex meets my needs.

I have been shooting Goex 3F for most of my muzzle loading career, starting with .58 Enfields in the N-SSA and moving on to flintlocks in regional and state competitions. I was lured into the Swiss camp last year, and found WIDE variances in muzzle velocity and standard deviations with Swiss. Not so with Goex. I can't tell the difference in cleanliness between the two; but for my dollar, Goex is fully satisfactory at less cost. I have traded out my Swiss 3F and won't look back. Now Swiss Null B is a whole nutter story. It is the finest priming powder I have ever used.

ADK Bigfoot

If I could only buy Goex red can black powder (or Schuetzen), I would only use the 3Fg for virtually everything. It works well for round balls and bullets. It fouls much less than their 2Fg. Some interesting data in the 2nd Lyman Black Powder Handbook will allow you to compare the same exact loads with Goex 2Fg and 3Fg. In many cases the difference is negligible to non existent. Swiss and OE are a different animal.

I have been shooting Goex 3F for most of my muzzle loading career, starting with .58 Enfields in the N-SSA and moving on to flintlocks in regional and state competitions. I was lured into the Swiss camp last year, and found WIDE variances in muzzle velocity and standard deviations with Swiss. Not so with Goex. I can't tell the difference in cleanliness between the two; but for my dollar, Goex is fully satisfactory at less cost. I have traded out my Swiss 3F and won't look back. Now Swiss Null B is a whole nutter story. It is the finest priming powder I have ever used.

ADK Bigfoot
really , first I have ever heard of that .

to me Swiss is very consistent and easy to get good accuracy, the powder seems to be a lot more evenly grained it flows a lot better.
It does have harder fouling but my accuracy is a little better then Goex is usually.

Only use Goex in my shotguns. When they moved from PA to LA in the 90’s it went to crap.. maybe it better, but Swiss is dominating in LR Competitions.

I use Goex or Schuetzen in my .54 Renegade. Last order I bought was all Goex. I was using all 2f for PRB and conical shooting, but about a year ago I worked up a 3f load for PRB. The fouling is much less than 2f, I will only use the 2f for my conical load now unless I end up with a rifle that just plain shoots 2f better on the target.
I find that the Goex and Scheutzen are nearly identical, I can use either one and they both shoot to the same POI.

I need to do more testing between Swiss and this Can of Goex Olde Eyensford 2F that i have For Accuracy. But my initial testing (only 1 outing with Bullets, Proven Load/Rifle Combo) Swiss 2F was the CRYSTAL CLEAR WINNER. I did Test this Goex Olde E 2F in my .50 Cal Roundball Gun against Swiss 2F Back in the Summer, and the Goex did Good there :lewis: Patched Roundball more Forgiving? I need to do more Bullet Testing With Both Powders Side by Side, Which i plan to do in My Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Cal, This Rifle Stuffs Bullets inside of Eachother on Target EVERY TIME out, if i do my part of Course.

Goex is a fine Powder for Guy’s that Want Real Blackpowder ignition, it’s been around forever. But I don’t feel it Competes with Swiss for Accuracy? Look up BPCR Load Data of Guy’s that are Competing on SERIOUS Levels, Tell me how many of them Guy’s you See using Goex of Any kind? That speaks VOLUMES, Those guy’s are UNDOUBTEDLY gonna use What Wins PLAIN N SIMPLE, and the VAST Majority of them use Swiss Blackpowder ;)

I need to do more testing between Swiss and this Can of Goex Olde Eyensford 2F that i have For Accuracy. But my initial testing (only 1 outing with Bullets, Proven Load/Rifle Combo) Swiss 2F was the CRYSTAL CLEAR WINNER. I did Test this Goex Olde E 2F in my .50 Cal Roundball Gun against Swiss 2F Back in the Summer, and the Goex did Good there :lewis: Patched Roundball more Forgiving? I need to do more Bullet Testing With Both Powders Side by Side, Which i plan to do in My Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Cal, This Rifle Stuffs Bullets inside of Eachother on Target EVERY TIME out, if i do my part of Course.

Goex is a fine Powder for Guy’s that Want Real Blackpowder ignition, it’s been around forever. But I don’t feel it Competes with Swiss for Accuracy? Look up BPCR Load Data of Guy’s that are Competing on SERIOUS Levels, Tell me how many of them Guy’s you See using Goex of Any kind? That speaks VOLUMES, Those guy’s are UNDOUBTEDLY gonna use What Wins PLAIN N SIMPLE, and the VAST Majority of them use Swiss Blackpowder ;)
Goex is another world from what Goex OE is.Some BPCR guys use OE because of the softer fouling they claim. To me you don't see difference until you start shooting distance

Goex is another world from what Goex OE is.Some BPCR guys use OE because of the softer fouling they claim. To me you don't see difference until you start shooting distance

That is kinda the same thing i was told from BACO Staff, That I might not notice much, if any difference at Say 100 Yards? But at Longer Ranges it would Likely start Showing. My 1 and only Experience with Bullets, it showed at 70-80 Yards, i could CLEARLY see the Difference, Swiss outperformed it.

Forum member Msalyards say’s that Goex Olde E needs LOTS of Compression? As in a Compression Die. I wouldn’t be able to get that Kind of Loading Pressure in my Muzzleloaders, But it does have me thinking, I will take my Solid Brass Range Rod next outing with Olde E, that thing is REALLY Heavy, Which allows me to get some SERIOUS Force Behind it!! I can Send Super tight Patched Roundball Combos down a 32” Barrel With Little Effort, I couldn’t begin to do this with a Regular lightweight Rod, NO WAY! I will give this a Try with Olde E and See if i can tell a Difference? Put a TIGHT fitting Nitro Card on the Powder, and some SERIOUS force on it with my Brass Range Rod. I have my Doubts it will make any difference? But will definitely give it a Try :lewis:

Gotta remember consistency too Lew. Kenny Wasserburger is the guy that pushed me in the compression direction with Old E. And him being one of the upper class BPCR shooters I listened. I'm not sure how to keep consistent pressure with a muzzle loader with out getting too technical. My fault for shooting both Muzzys and Sharps

Gotta remember consistency too Lew. Kenny Wasserburger is the guy that pushed me in the compression direction with Old E. And him being one of the upper class BPCR shooters I listened. I'm not sure how to keep consistent pressure with a muzzle loader with out getting too technical. My fault for shooting both Muzzys and Sharps

Consistency Shouldn’t be that big a Challenge, I will take a Bathroom Scale along, that way i can put the SAME FORCE On the Powder Each Loading :lewis:

I think you will be amazed at how much Force i can put on a Powder Charge with this Brass Range Rod, and my 235 Pounds ;) I will Video it, Each Loading :lewis:

My 50 Cal GM LRH is Now loaded with an 80 Grain Charge of Goex Olde E 2F, I pushed a TIGHT Fitting .510 Nitro Card down on top of the Powder, Grabbed the Bathroom Scale (Weighs identical to BC Hospital) and Tested Force? With my Solid Brass Range Rod I can Consistently/Repeatedly put 160 Pounds of Force on top of the Powder NO PROBLEM, 170 pounds if i put a little More effort in it. How’s that for Compression? :)

I stil bet Swiss will SPANK it, Even loaded unevenly, I will load the Swiss 2F with uneven Pressures, From mild To WILD, And Shoot a 3 Shot Group. The Goex Olde E will get the EXACT Same 160 Pounds of Force for each Shot, For a 3 Shot Group. Same exact Bullets from the Same Batch, Sized the Same, Lubed the Same. EVERYTHING will be identical, EXCEPT the Powder, and Force on top of the Charge

Is regular Goex with red label which is what I have is the goex old e the same or different?

My 50 Cal GM LRH is Now loaded with an 80 Grain Charge of Goex Olde E 2F, I pushed a TIGHT Fitting .510 Nitro Card down on top of the Powder, Grabbed the Bathroom Scale (Weighs identical to BC Hospital) and Tested Force? With my Solid Brass Range Rod I can Consistently/Repeatedly put 160 Pounds of Force on top of the Powder NO PROBLEM, 170 pounds if i put a little More effort in it. How’s that for Compression? :)

I stil bet Swiss will SPANK it, Even loaded unevenly, I will load the Swiss 2F with uneven Pressures, From mild To WILD, And Shoot a 3 Shot Group. The Goex Olde E will get the EXACT Same 160 Pounds of Force for each Shot, For a 3 Shot Group. Same exact Bullets from the Same Batch, Sized the Same, Lubed the Same. EVERYTHING will be identical, EXCEPT the Powder, and Force on top of the Charge
Ha, I'm sure your right Lew, You tune your guns and loads to perfection and know what they will do. Kind of a neat experiment though. I never thought of a bathroom scale! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back