Going Back to Work.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTY

Reaction score
I retired from the gun store in March of 21. I went back last fall and worked Saturdays so that my replacement could have a few days off.

It seems everywhere I go there are help wanted signs out. I purchased fencing to make the chicken run yesterday, and the lumber yard still had a sign hanging in the window that has been there for a month. I went to the post office, and they are having difficulty hiring a postmaster. The grocery store also had a sign in the window. These were the only places I went in town, and all three were short of help.

A couple of months ago, I went in to help with interviews at the store. The person hired lasted a couple weeks and quit. I am going back to work on Saturdays to give the guy running the place some time off. I told him I would help for three or four months. I want to have hunting season off.

I do not understand why there is such a shortage of people willing to fill the openings.

At least I will get first crack at supplies and be able to visit with the regulars.

I retired 3 years ago. After a few months I got bored so I found a part time job in town at a local store stocking shelves.
I've been there about 2 1/2 years now and in that time, the store has gone through about 40 people. One assistant manager quit his first day and most of the other people lasted no more than a month.
I'm in a small town with not many job opportunities, so I don't understand why people give up so easily. Seems like many young people don't have the same work ethic like us older folks.

I've noticed over the years that my work ethic is directly related to my priorities. Like housing, running water, electricity, heat, clothing, transportation, and recreation. Priorities were different when i was younger. Alcohol, girls, transportation(to the girls or alcohol), not much else because mostly it was provided by my parents. As they provided less i prioritized differently. My bosses had their own priorities that i quickly figured out when more money was important to me. As long as people are being given what they "need" many will settle for it. When they "want more" they may develope a stronger work ethic. Some just need a " helping hand up", but some want a "hand out". With wages nowhere near to keeping pace with inflation or cost of living, it's easy to see why many just say "screw it if i cant get ahead im not even gonna try". At 57 my wife says I can't continue working 2 jobs for much longer and somedays i agree. But I've got this addiction that many of you guys share... Anyway, maybe many of the idle youth will get bored and want more and get back in the job market.

Acording to the government I was abused as a child. At 7 years old my dad gave me my first lesson in economics. I could go to work on the farm for $.25 an hour or he would give me $.25 a week to do chores at home. Even I could do that math. Been working ever since. A few months before graduating college he and I were grilling steaks for dinner. He looked at me and said your mom and I decided your not coming home after you graduate. Ill give you $1,000 to get your feet under you so get a job and get going. I never told him I already had a job and was delighted I was going to get the $1,000 dollars.

I retired March 1, 2005. Before I could get out of the building, I was offered a job that I could have made more money at, but only 3 days a week and furnished an auto. NO!
The community college here found out I was a retired Ergonomist and wanted to hire me to teach one class. NO!
I have not worn a watch since I took it off March 1, 2005. All my life I had to keep track of time.
Today........ there is 3 kinds of time, daytime, night time and supper time.

I retired the first time in 2007. The gun store was entertainment for the most part. Absentee owner, no one to answer to, and the free run to do whatever I wanted as long as I did not cross the feds.
Several times I cut my pay to give employees raises, as mine was mostly going to taxes anyway. I retired when it became too expensive to work. Taxes and increased medicare fees were unbearable.
The only part I really disliked was standing at the bench for a good portion of the day mounting scopes. Hunting season and the few days before hand were the worst times for that.

I went back to work a few months back after retiring a couple years ago. My buddies wife called and said she needed someone to run the maintenance dept in the local high/elementary school, and thought of me ( no idea why..lol ) I actually have a job after 40 years I like..lol . See my granddaughters and youngest son everyday , and as a bonus, don't have to listen to how much I'm spending on guns and hounds.

At 7 years old my dad gave me my first lesson in economics. I could go to work on the farm for $.25 an hour or he would give me $.25 a week to do chores at home.
At the same age, my old man made me a job offer I couldn't refuse. I was going to work on the farm, and in return he wouldn't take the hide off my neck, back, ass and legs.

Failure to finish the jobs he assigned each morning, making a mistake, damaged a tool, or fornicating up in any way - voided my reprieve for that day, and I got a good thrashing.

Kids now just lack the proper motivation.

I retired 3 years ago. After a few months I got bored so I found a part time job in town at a local store stocking shelves.
I've been there about 2 1/2 years now and in that time, the store has gone through about 40 people. One assistant manager quit his first day and most of the other people lasted no more than a month.
I'm in a small town with not many job opportunities, so I don't understand why people give up so easily. Seems like many young people don't have the same work ethic like us older folks.
I've heard it said more than once..."It takes two Millennials to equal the productivity of one Boomer" on a personal level, my sister-in-law was forced into retirement along with the other two workers in her unit as they did not have college degrees and no timeframe to get one or complete one started. Type of degree did not matter. They were replaced by 5 college grads. They could not keep up and at 3 weeks were 2 weeks behind. My sister-in-law called back to catch up and train the newbies!!! After a month let go ---again -- for good that time.
Company is Pfizer.

I began drawing SS at 62. The Fed holds back the first month then stops when you die. Sounds like they have already screwed you out of a month ! I continued working first at the local public golf course, the at the Saratoga Wy Cemetery 6 yrs then the millionaire "Old Baldy" upscale GC mowing fairways Mon, Wed, Fri to feed my passions. 2020 no workie due to non hiring "Covid". Now caretaker of the local city park summers. My wife always told me "you don't have to work" I replied " I don't ? " Her: As long as you quit buying beer, guns and stop working on that hot rod Silverado money pit ! That, my friends, was inspiration. Now with our mortgages, trucks etc all paid I can breathe a little. All four children very successful and ask us if WE need money. At 76 I cannot be idle and never have a boring day. Our 4 lot yard, building underhammers, the Park and trapping winters keeps me alive, THANK YOU LORD !......... PS and yes, I see "Help Wanted" signs in alot of store windows here abouts.......Trader

Don't remember my father he took off when I was to young mother has a serious drinking problem Not complaining when old enough joined the US Navy did 4 years in the seabees After leaving the Navy got a job at the Chevrolet Plant Worked 6 months got laid off I then took the test for the fire department and the police department Which ever one came first I was in the police academy 2 weeks and got a letter from the fire department Worked there for 9 years retired 1968 from the police department line of duty injury Wife's Uncle got me a job with him at thue unemployment office a state job worked there till he retired then went with the Military department also a state job till 1987 when the job classification was taken over by the Military police I was offered a job by a major I worked with at the police department in the prison system I went to their academy afterwards I was assigned to a prison that lasted 7 months I retired in 1997 couldn't take the confinement got a state pension My wife had a very good paying job so I stayed home At 62 took my SS went hunting and fishing every chance I got That's the end omf y screwed up story

Last edited:
Don't remember my father he took off when I was to young mother has a serious drinking problem Not complaining when old enough joined the US Navy did 4 years in the seabees After leaving the Navy got a job at the Chevrolet Plant Worked 6 months got laid off I then took the test for the fire department and the police department Which ever one came first I was in the police academy 2 weeks and got a letter from the fire department Worked there for 9 years retired 1968 from the police department line of duty injury Wife's Uncle got me a job with him at thue unemployment office a state job worked there till he retired then went with the Military department also a state job till 1987 when the job classification was taken over by the Military police I was offered a job by a major I worked with at the department of corrections I went to their academy afterwards I was assigned to a prison that lasted 7 months I retired in 1997 couldn't take the confinement My wife had a very good paying joj so I stayed home went hunting an\d fishing every chance I got That's the end of my screwed up story
My wife is 16 yrs my junior and got a retirement from UPS (computer tech) now has 18 yrs as the tech dept at the local power co and retires in 1-1/2 years. Defiantly a part of my retirement plan LOL PS, she has not been out of work one day since she turned 19, a keeper!

Back