Going full season shooting PP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting for someone to show me what advantage paper patch bullets have over grease groove bullets. I'm sure that if you experiment enough you can get them to shoot well. Do they shoot better than greasers? No. Once you get to a certain skill level, it's more about the shooter and their ability to adapt to conditions than what kind of bullet they shoot. X

didn't say it was better , where did that come from , It is just a preference , I do know they out perform at a distance on wind drift

45-70, I'm a pointy, all copper, lightning speed bullet deer hunter but I am very intrigued about slower, heavy, all lead bullets. Could you expand on what you posted? Rifle, load, any other info. is always appreciated.

45-70, I'm a pointy, all copper, lightning speed bullet deer hunter but I am very intrigued about slower, heavy, all lead bullets. Could you expand on what you posted? Rifle, load, any other info. is always appreciated.
Shooting a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. Load is 530 grain Dual Diameter bullet , PP, 80 grains Swiss 1.5 , Poly .060 and one .015 pressed paper wad . Poly over powder compressed about .230 thousandths . No crimp on case bullet is wrapped to fit case mouth just so it doesn't fall out. Whole thing is good to 1000 yds. Black powder 45-70 is very user friendly . Bullet is 16-1 hardness , lead tin mix. To get accuracy Wipe between shoots with bore pigs and dry patch. Velocity for this load and bullet is around 1276,

I'm still waiting for someone to show me what advantage paper patch bullets have over grease groove bullets. I'm sure that if you experiment enough you can get them to shoot well. Do they shoot better than greasers? No. Once you get to a certain skill level, it's more about the shooter and their ability to adapt to conditions than what kind of bullet they shoot. X
Please re-read my reply. I never said that you thought they shoot better. I just need convincing that they ARE better. I'd like to see wind deflection charts of GG vs. PP bullets..........same weight bullet, same velocity, same BC [or close]. Somebody out there must have a ballistic program to feed the data into. 600 and 1000 yd. wind deflection data info would be nice.
My all time favorite mid and long range bullet is the Lyman 530 grain Postell GG, 24:1 alloy, sized to .459 in a Lyman lubrisizer. Home made lube. They are fired from a 45-90 Sharps and a 45-100 Sharps Borchardt.
P.S. I'm not trying to offend anyone.........just get info. X

just carry over from my long range muzzle loading days and most of the good MZ long range shooters use PP so can't help you there, past National Silhouette Champ was using PP

20220215_150837.jpg20220215_150849.jpgWipe between shots with bore pigs. PP Dual Diameter 530 grn bullet , 77 grains of 1.5 Swiss , .060 poly wad

Attachments

• 20220215_150842.jpg
    20220215_150842.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 36
Please re-read my reply. I never said that you thought they shoot better. I just need convincing that they ARE better. I'd like to see wind deflection charts of GG vs. PP bullets..........same weight bullet, same velocity, same BC [or close]. Somebody out there must have a ballistic program to feed the data into. 600 and 1000 yd. wind deflection data info would be nice.
My all time favorite mid and long range bullet is the Lyman 530 grain Postell GG, 24:1 alloy, sized to .459 in a Lyman lubrisizer. Home made lube. They are fired from a 45-90 Sharps and a 45-100 Sharps Borchardt.
P.S. I'm not trying to offend anyone.........just get info. X
I know that Kenny Wasserburger set a record in 2008 at Raton of 1.336 at the 5@200 and the GG guys tried to beat for a week and never did. Paper don't lie! Nice shootin 45/70!.

PPBs are a craft within themselves and it will always come down to the expertise - or lack thereof - of the shooter with regards to consistent accuracy. I only load PPBs for the specially PPB chambered .45-70 Sharps (it will not chamber "standard" .45-70 greaser cartridges) to pretty much emulate what was done for cartridges back in the later part of the 19th century. They're purty accurate, too, if I do my part. I use Brent D's bore gopher wipers 'tween shots - really helps with the fouling control.

20211112_192134.jpg

ol'bessie'ready.jpg

bore gophers.jpg

Wow , never heard of these bore pigs/gophers. Very interesting. So do you use these instead of a bow tube ? Are these just soaked in water and pushed though ? I recently acquired a 45/70 and would like to do some silhouette matches. I've been doing a lot of research on loading black powder cartridges and have gathered most items I need, just need to get some bullets. I've been shooting muzzle loaders (flintlock) most of my life and I'm excited to do some black powder cartridge shooting.

Yes, instead of blow tubing, we bore wipe as it's a more consistent method of achieving an equilibrium of sorts for fouling control.

Wow , never heard of these bore pigs/gophers. Very interesting. So do you use these instead of a bow tube ? Are these just soaked in water and pushed though ? I recently acquired a 45/70 and would like to do some silhouette matches. I've been doing a lot of research on loading black powder cartridges and have gathered most items I need, just need to get some bullets. I've been shooting muzzle loaders (flintlock) most of my life and I'm excited to do some black powder cartridge shooting.
only use the bore pigs when I shoot PP bullets
with grease groove you can wipe between shots with damp patch

tried your neoprene washers wouldn't work in my rifle

Yes it will, as it has for dozens if not hundreds of BPCR/BPTR shooters.

In your case, either there is a problem with how you built your Bore Gophers, or you're not using them correctly, or the bore of your gun isn't .450" land-to-land, or some combination of all these concerns.

IMHO, Bore Gophers are simply the best way to maintain consistent shot-to-shot fouling control for BCPRs and they are better than the BACO Bore Wipers.

it is a sharps shiloh, and i believe the neoprene washers are slightly to large. Not using correctly they only go through one way.

it is a sharps shiloh, and i believe the neoprene washers are slightly to large. Not using correctly they only go through one way.

Dunno what you mean by that, they are intended to ONLY go INTO the chamber and OUT the muzzle - a one way trip.

Latest posts

Back