Going full season shooting PP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only use the bore pigs when I shoot PP bullets
with grease groove you can wipe between shots with damp patch

All manner of bore wipers are for guns shooting either PPBs or greasers. This has nothing to do with the type of projectile, it's about consistent fouling control.

Dunno what you mean by that, they are intended to ONLY go INTO the chamber and OUT the muzzle - a one way trip.
well you seem to think I don't know how it is used, all i know is washer comes off when pushed down the bore

i did and will send them to you if you wish . i would very much like to use them as i bought what you suggested

If THIS is what yer telling me is a "Bore Gopher" ... it ain't, yer not using all the correct components I've outlined to you more than once.

dd.png

i'm trying to tell you this is what I use instead of your gophers. I made your gophers and they didn't work in my bore and I still have the supplies

i'm trying to tell you this is what I use instead of your gophers. I made your gophers and they didn't work in my bore and I still have the supplies

Sorry, dunno what the problem is yer having. Put up some images of your Bore Gophers.

Brent at a match, using his Bore Gophers. He uses a Patch Popper to select a dry patch to follow the gopher down the tube - the patch is only for drying the chamber of the water that was carried into it by the Gopher.

Sorry, dunno what the problem is yer having. Put up some images of your Bore Gophers.
I know how to use them , jeez don't know what else to tell you. what I posted is what I use and no it isn't a Gopher as you describe.

Yes it will, as it has for dozens if not hundreds of BPCR/BPTR shooters.

In your case, either there is a problem with how you built your Bore Gophers, or you're not using them correctly, or the bore of your gun isn't .450" land-to-land, or some combination of all these concerns.

IMHO, Bore Gophers are simply the best way to maintain consistent shot-to-shot fouling control for BCPRs and they are better than the BACO Bore Wipers.
My cleaning "system". Cheap, effecient, proven, no assembly required, and works every time. DSC_0118 (5).JPG
One damp patch, [50/50 antifreeze/water.]
Shoot, wipe, load, repeat. X

I know how to use them , jeez don't know what else to tell you. what I posted is what I use and no it isn't a Gopher as you describe.

Clearly, something is amiss on your end, either with yer gun's bore, or your Bore Gopher build, or possibly how yer using the Bore Gopher - it needs to have its felts soaked, then the excess water flicked off - this is both for cutting BP fouling and for lubing the trip to and out the muzzle.

The neoprene washer will flex as it goes from the chamber to the throat to the rifling in order to do its squeegee job of pushing excess water out of the chamber area. That's why an oversize 1/2" washer is required for a .450" bore diameter and a groove diameter that's gonna be a bit larger.

Check yer gun's bore diameter land-to-land, groove-to-groove. Measure the diameter of the the "O" ring on YOUR wiper then measure the diameter of the Bore Gopher's washer. And/or send me one of your built Bore Gophers for my examination and testing, and all the components for building just one more Gopher.

My cleaning "system". Cheap, effecient, proven, no assembly required, and works every time. View attachment 21160
One damp patch, [50/50 antifreeze/water.]
Shoot, wipe, load, repeat. X
Yup, that works just fine as it has for me for years as well. Leaving the chamber "damp" was not a good thing and that would require a dry patch and more time wasted 'tween shoots that could be used for aiming (which is why we use Moezingo's Patch Popper, too). Bore wipers are far more consistent to get the bbl cleaner, chamber dry, and closer to no fouling with one stroke of the stick. I'll take any few extra points I can in a match. YMMV.

ok , will build another and try again , I tried to run through dry

Any and ALL bore wipers need to be soaked good, for at least 5 minutes, you want the felts sopping wet. To use, pick one up and flick off the excess water, push it into the chamber and past the chamber mouth, put a dry patch into the chamber mouth a bit (just enuf to hold it there), with the rod push the patch to the Bore Gopher, push 'em all out the muzzle.

In case you didn't know ... It helps heaps to push the gopher into a tray or bowl of water, to keep the BP residue soft. When the shooting's over, I put the gophers into the water jug that's got the fired brass (you do dump just fired brass into water?). The faster and longer brass and gophers are kept wet, the easier/faster their cleanup.

Last edited:
FWIW, how I clean brass and bore wipers.

Brass Stage 1. Just fired brass goes into a jug of tap water that has a good squirt of dish detergent (Dawn, etc). Back at the ranch the brass gets dumped into a Tupperware bowl and rinsed with cool tap water, allowing as much BP residue to wash off. I use a hand operated deprimer on each case, putting the deprimed brass into another bowl of clean water. The brass is rinsed again and put into the strainer of the Hornady 2L ultra-sonic cleaner. 30 minutes in the U/S and the cleaned brass goes back into the plastic bowl and rinsed off with cool tap water. All the brass goes onto a big fluffy towel to wick off the excess water, then dumped into a vibratory corn media cleaner, with its lid left off, for about a 10 minute spin to fully dry off the brass.

Brass Stage 2. Brass is annealed using an Annealeez automated annealing machine. When done, the brass is ready for PPB loading - primed, charged, wad and PPB - no other brass prepping required or needed.

Bore Gophers. After the day's shooting is done, the dirty wipers go from their Tupperware container into the fired brass jug. They are later separated from the jug and into a separate plastic bowl and rinsed with cool tap water - the wiper felts that were dark black are now light to dark gray. Then into a jug of warm tap water that has a tablespoon of OxiClean, cap and shake the jug a few times, allow the enzymes to eat away the remaining BP residue. Allow to sit in the jug for about 15 minutes. Shake out the nice clean wipers into a plastic bowl and rinse with cool tap water. Spread out the wet wipers on a few sheets of newspaper and allow to air dry - do not dry in direct sunlight.

If I may ask, what type (magnum or non magnum) primer do you use ? Some ppl say magnum, some say not needed, just curios as to your opinion.
Thanks, John

I use Federal Match primers. I see no need for magnum primers or pistol primers. There are very differing opinions on primers - some want a hot magnum, others a less potent pistol primer. I will not use pistol primers, they can peen the bolt face since they're shorter in height than a rifle primer. To me, it's all about consistency and so I use a match grade standard primer. Changing primers can easily affect consistent accuracy.

Some will also use a primer wad, either in the case or in the primer cavity. I experimented with both and never found any value with either.

Whatever delivers the best consistent accuracy for you, will be best ... for you.

Latest posts

Back