gonic arms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubby

Reaction score
does anyone know if gonic arms is still in business,if not does anyone know where I could get a spring for the cocking lever,also does any one make bullets for the gonic they take a special size,thanks in advance good shooting-randy

They have been out of business for a long time now. I hunt occasionally with a 50 cal. Gonic and get my conicals from No Excuses out of Roy, Utah. The guys name is Dave. Gonic 50 cals have a .500 bore and were designed to shoot slip fit conicals similiar to Whites. Dave will size them to .500 diameter which in my gun is a slip fit. I get the 460 grain no excuses for my gun. Gonic sold a small hand held sizer that allowed you to size your conicals to .500 but they are hard to find these days. I am not sure how many size springs gonic used in their guns but I believe there were at least two different lengths. Parts are very hard to find. You may have better luck finding a complete gun and use parts off it.

What model do you have?

No excuses 801-776-1418
email add. [email protected]

I have the model 87,I don,t need a spring right now,but I think its getting weak,don,t fired caps once in a while

Just brainstorming here but what brand of #11 caps are you using? When the cap does not go off can you recock and have the primer go off on the 2nd attempt?

caps are noble,recock a couple times didn,t fired,i had same problem when I got rifle sent it back he put heavier spring in it

I use remington 40% hotter caps and make sure that I seat them on the nipple with ample pressure.

I,ll give them a try & see what happens,I shot a buck in manitoba with this rifle back in2002 he dressed out at 317lbs.,I had to cock it 4 times before it went off-thanks Randy :)

if anyone has or know someone who has one for sale i be interested thanks randy :)

The owner died a few years back,a nice man.I see them around here once in a while. I think Willies in Ellsworth maine has one for cheap money. Google Willies gun shop in Ellsworth.
Nice rifles
Nit Wit

i have no idea what style or size spring a Gonic uses but I've done the following to two different inlines: my M98 White had what i thought was a slow lock time. no fail to fire but the spring seemed weak. i had a stock Rem 700 ML bolt spring around because i had replaced it with a Wolfe aftermarket upgrade in my 700 ML. it was larger in diameter and longer than the stock White spring but fit just fine. now the lock time is very fast and the strikes are much firmer. the other rifle was a friend's T/C Thunderhawk. it too had a slow lock time (like my White) that was kind of annoying. i machined up a spring preload spacer that extended into the coil spring about 1/4" with a 3/8" long shoulder that was the same OD as the spring. the lock time speed increased dramatically and so did the stricking force.

i have another question,im shooting no excuses 460 grain conical,with 80 grains of swiss 2f,should i be putting a wad over top of powder?

Hi Rubby,
I have a Model 93 magnum in excellent shape. I have two new springs that you ask about and the following: I am selling the whole thing for a reasonable price to someone who will use it and use it well. It can take any land animal in the world with the right bullet and powder. I also have the hard to obtain bullet resizer. Please review the following and let me know what you would offer. I live in NJ so you have to figure out the logistics of the transfer and shipping, etc

Regards
Rick
Model 93 Deluxe Gonic Arms 50 Cal. Magnum Muzzleloader
The designer of the Gonic Muzzleloader, Fred Rodney was a previous gun designer at Thomson Arms and claims to have been instrumental with the development of the Encore.
Fred realized that in order to obtain accuracy and build a muzzleloader that with the change of the bullet length and weight you could hunt any land animal on earth (yes, even the Elephant), he had to redesign the barrel to withstand Magnum loads. With the patented E-Z-Load Muzzle, not only does the Gonic magnum withstand heavy, magnum loads, but it also accommodated light to heavy bullets for all big game with guaranteed accuracy (Manufacturer guaranteed minute of angle (M.O.A) accuracy (1” groups at 100 yards, 2” groups at 200 yards, etc.) thru 300 yards). Immediately after hitting the market, the Gonic Muzzleloader was noted to have the top trophies (# 1 Black powder World record 11 point buck Score 193 2/8 taken by David Wilson from Saskatchewan), since it reached with velocity, knockdown power and accuracy the 200 plus yard range needed to get a shot at these wary trophies.
Gun uses number 11 percussion caps. Why percussion caps? It has been proven that 209 primers only ignite at about 24 degrees higher than the #1 primer, but explode with such a high amount of force (creates more gas) that often (not all the time), that instead of igniting the charge, it first blows the charge forward and then the powder ignites. As a result, pattern consistency and the M.O.A accuracy are not achieved. This is the reason hunters always wonder why their shot was high, low or missed the kill zone with guns using the 209 primers.
Gun For sale -Features:
Laminated Wood Stock, Stainless Steel barrel,
A.Z. Scope bases with recoil stop. Stainless Steel (matted) Quick – Release Scope mounts that allow scope removal and replacement while it retains accuracy Absolute Zero (A.Z.) after disassembling and reassembling the scope from the barrel.
1.5 x 4.5 Scope
Supplies and extra items:
-*About 45 x 430 Grain Original Pre-lubed Magnum Penetrator bullets by Gonic Arms
-2 bags of magnum Sabots – Gonic Arms
-Nipple wrench
-3 new magnum Gonic Arms Nipples and one used a couple of times
-Cleaning extension tool (screws into where the nipple goes so can add a rubber hose and clean barrel without removing from gun)
-2 extra receiver springs and one end cap for the receiver
-Two extra bolt handles (used to pull back receiver)
-New jag extension (add to end of any ramrod for cleaning)
-2 Pre-Loaders/Express Loaders – for easy, quick reloading with accuracy
-Bullet Buddies (For higher accuracy and typically used with greater than 110 grains of black powder)
-Original Gonic Arms Instruction, parts and ballistics Manual
-Gonic Color Brochure with pictures of the different models, supplies and Dave Wilsons “Magnificent 5” record whitetails taken with the Gonic (still - Gonic holds the world record Whitetail taken by muzzleloader -score 193 2/8
*as an extra bonus – rare Gonic Made Bullet resizer. When Gonic was going out of business and had trouble obtaining custom bullets for the gun or custom bullet molds, they designed the Gonic 50 Cal bullet Sizer. You take any 50 Cal Lead bullet (Conical or round) and pass thru it and it automatically resizes it for use in the gun**
**Caution – If not resizing the bullets using the resizer - Use only Gonic or specially made bullets for this bore (Available resized bullets from Precision Bullets (www.prbullet.com)

You do realize you are replying to a 2yr+ old post and "for sale" posts are only allowed in the classified section after you have 25 posts.

oh - sorry - i thought it would notify him to his email. He needed a spring and I have two and at same time - decided to sell the whole gun cause he sounded interested. I am an expert with this gun and was very familiar with original manufacturer/patent holder, wife and son and can help these Gonic guys achieve M.O.A. I want the gun to go to someone that really wants to put the time into it and achieve hunting or target success. Any advice is paramount from you, Again sorry.
FYI - these gonics are unique and like my dad who waited 25 years for the right 1903 B-enfield - I am only here to help some realize their dream. thnx

Rick

Rick,
There are still a few diehard Gonic followers out there.
I'm one of them.
I've got the GA-93 and two GA-90's in .45 cal, one 16" and another 20".
They are all head and shoulders above any muzzleloader I own. Even my Rem 700 ML!
Thank you for your contribution to this thread.
Fred Rodney was a great designer of firearms and a man ahead of his time.
Thanks,
Jimmy

I once owned a Model 93. They are a nice enough rifle but I prefer a removable breech plug.
Art

That would definitely have been an asset in it's design.
I've used enough traditional flintlocks and percussion rifles to understand the importance and an effective technique of proper cleaning of a closed breech barrel.
The GA-90 barrels have a removable breech plug but it is not to the full bore of .45", they are about .385".
GA-90%20pics%2016%20in..jpg

Latest posts

Back