Gonic Arms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paithien

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to muzzleloader hunting. My step mom was married to mr. Rodney and she gave me the last muzzleloader that her husband ever made for our families first Xmas. It is a prototype 54 caliber muzzleloader. It is a beautiful gun and I will never get to shoot it. I was told to never shoot it. She told me that it is worth about 6k. I just wanted to tell my story.
Thank you
Sam

You can shoot and still keep your guns in new condition ! Everyone thinks guns are "new" unfired but most manufacturers shoot the guns before sending them out for sale ! Any pics ?

Don't be foolish, shoot it and enjoy it. Nice rifles but you would be sad at what it would bring at auction. What happened to their parts and bullet molds? I need some parts.
Nit Wit

That bolt looks different then the two i have for my 87 gonic

Yes the 87 is a older gun. Plus today I picked up a thompson Black diamond that has never been fired by the owner. it has glow sights and the rail mount for a scope already in place. Not sure if i paid to much? 150.00 plus a friend is going to make me some extra parts. I live about 5 miles from Thompson Center arms.

Paithien,

Thanks for sharing your pictures, it’s a fine looking rifle for sure. As for shooting it, I’m with Nit Wit on this one. That’s what it was made for and probably won’t reach fame as a real collectible. So shoot your rifle- take care of it, but let it breathe fire like it’s supposed to.

Huff

Sam,
Great rifle!
I've got the 93 in a fluted stainless with a tight .50 bore.
Shoots like thunder but loads like a bear.
Absolutely love the stock.
Shoot it and take care of it.
Fred's contribution to the contender line has been my favorite accessories.
Thanks,
Jimmy

L
Yes the 87 is a older gun. Plus today I picked up a thompson Black diamond that has never been fired by the owner. it has glow sights and the rail mount for a scope already in place. Not sure if i paid to much? 150.00 plus a friend is going to make me some extra parts. I live about 5 miles from Thompson Center arms.

Great to hear from you! I also lived near, and worked for T/C in the 1980’s. I also knew Bill Rodney and was privledged to chase bears with him and his his bear hounds.Great man, great dogs! Bill was way ahead of his time. He is missed.

rusticbob,
It's great to see some of the originals still kickin'.
I got hooked me up with a 16" 45 cal GA-90 in unfired condition. A real jewel!
My GA-93 doesn't get the attention that the contender barrels do. They are just so darn handy.
The cartridge barrels are so user friendly compared with the front loaders
Thanks for chiming in.
Jimmy

Last edited:
Back