Good day shooting...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It gorgeous day here in Montana, 50 and 3-6 mph wind. I shot my SML today - Savage action with .45 cal. Brux barrel from Arrowhead which I put together in December. Like the idiot I can be sometimes, I didn't get any pictures of the rifle at the range, but here it is as I'm getting ready to clean it (Weaver Tactical 3-15x50).

1615171754243.png

Shot some Parker 275 BEs to get it close then switched to Arrowhead's 275gr XLDs. First five shots with the XLDs shown below:

1615171957955.png

Then put two on the 12x16 plate at 400 yards. The group is about 2 in low and 3.5 in right, which makes sense given the group above...

1615172165061.png...

These SMLs are simply amazing... and mine's been put together about as cheaply as a bolt-build can get (though I did put a muzzle brake on it).

Last edited:
I've taken this bullet (from Arrowhead) to 400 yards 4-5 times with different loads and have never shot a group larger that 3". Yesterday I started at 200 and these are shots 9-11 at 400 (dead calm). Needless to say, I'm practically giddy with the performance of this bullet and build. The group is a hair under 0.75"
1627258588649.png

Last edited:
Wow!!! That’s a good group for 100, but 400 is damn impressive!!! Well done

Exactly what I was thinking. For me that's not bad for a modern rifle at 100.

But a bp muzzleloader at 400? wow c'mon that's excellent! And I just noticed I'm in smokeless muzzleloading. Lol.

Still great results no matter what you're shooting.

JB .... In my Brux Encore from Luke he recommends 60 gr. H4198 with the 275 .... In your Savage Brux I'm guessing about 62 gr. of H4198 with the 275XLD?

I got the same recommendation from Luke. I push it a little higher, but like most SML shooters I'm reluctant to talk loads. The accuracy of these SMLs is unbelievable. I have a theory...

I have reloaded for over 30 years and enjoy finding just the right load for a particular rifle. I find that I spend well over 90% of my reloading time prepping brass to get it as consistent as possible. Obviously there's no brass in an SML and all those variables that brass adds are eliminated. Additionally, since the bullet is already riding the lands, searching for the perfect seating depth (and neck tension) is also eliminated. I believe that the simplicity of a muzzleloader makes for an inherently accurate rifle.

Feel free to convince me otherwise...

Last edited:
Why are smokeless reluctant to talk loads? Just asking because I am very unfamiliar with the smokeless world but think its very interesting. Would like to get into it one day down the road

Why are smokeless reluctant to talk loads? Just asking because I am very unfamiliar with the smokeless world but think its very interesting. Would like to get into it one day down the road

Liability…
smokeless has a lot more pressure. Can be more dangerous if in properly used

I've taken this bullet (from Arrowhead) to 400 yards 4-5 times with different loads and have never shot a group larger that 3". Yesterday I started at 200 and these are shots 9-11 at 400 (dead calm). Needless to say, I'm practically giddy with the performance of this bullet and build. The group is a hair under 0.75"
View attachment 15586
I am embarrassed. That is my group at 100! With tremors it don't get better! Wicked shooting. 👏

Latest posts

Back